price increase

nanney1

price increase

Post by nanney1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 am

Went to the feed store and the dog food that I normally purchase had gone up $2 per bag. When I mentioned the increase, I was told it was from the mfg. due to the cost of corn and that the other feeds from different manufacturers had gone up about the same amount. Of course, they also told me that foods that didn't have corn in them had gone up too....

I've had big dogs since 1995, primarily Bernese Mountain Dogs. I've always had one or two and at times a third dog of a different breed. I currently have a 90lb Bernese, a 105lb American Bulldog (he just keeps getting bigger), and a 32lb Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The Staffy is small, easy to maintain, and eats much less food than the bigger dogs.

I can see the day coming when I'll no longer have a big dog. I always thought it would be when I was older and not able to control a large breed puppy. But as the cost of food keeps going up, that day may be coming sooner. I'm not sure how people with multiple giant breeds will be able to afford to feed them. Saw a Mastiff in the 225lb+ range over the weekend and he looked hungry.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: price increase

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm

About 5 months ago the cost of soy meal (which is used in turkey, chicken, hog and cattle feed) was a $320 a ton, the price is now around $550 a ton depending on the day.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Well, did you notice it cost you fifty cents a gallon more to drive there and get the food? $2.00 a bag. Geesh................ :roll:
Probably need to downsize on the pickup too. That's really killing the budget.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Mine went up about three dollars a bag but I was expecting it with the corn devastation and gas prices. Just the way it is.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way