Heavy smoke and needing to exercise the dog

Huntbear

Heavy smoke and needing to exercise the dog

Post by Huntbear » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Well we are burning up here in Central Washington. Air quality is from unhealthy to hazardous... over 80,000 acres on fire in the mountains around us.

That said, my GWP needs some exercise... How unhealthy is it to let him play fetch with me in the yard???? (Smoke is laying like fog here in town) Just to let him burn off some steam. He is not even 2 and full of himself right now....

I know one Kennel here is right on the border for evacuation notices (Cooke Canyon Gun Club)

Any help will be appreciated.
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist......

Hunting is part of my heritage I am most proud of....

art hubbard

Re: Heavy smoke and needing to exercise the dog

Post by art hubbard » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm in Idaho, about 65 miles south east of Lewiston, we also are socked in with smoke. I let my dogs out of their kennels and let them out into an exercise yard to stretch their legs, but would not even think of running them until this stuff clears up some. Our seasons are open now but there is no bird worth screwing up their respiratory systems.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 pm

If you can be out in it then the dogs can too. Don't think it would be anywhere thick enough to hurt them if you are out in it with them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm in Central Oregon and we've got the same issues. Red Cross actually set up some sort of ventilated building for people with respiratory issues in Sisters (air quality rated "hazardous"). Are you in the area in WA that they closed the schools because of the bad smoke? Anyway, I've been driving out east and out of the smoke to run the dog when it's bad. It's a pain in the butt but not nearly as horrible as dealing with a jacked-up one-year-old dog :lol: Good luck to you. Lets cross our fingers for some rain soon, shoot I'd even take a snow storm at this point.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Huntbear

Post by Huntbear » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Gertie wrote:I'm in Central Oregon and we've got the same issues. Red Cross actually set up some sort of ventilated building for people with respiratory issues in Sisters (air quality rated "hazardous"). Are you in the area in WA that they closed the schools because of the bad smoke? Anyway, I've been driving out east and out of the smoke to run the dog when it's bad. It's a pain in the butt but not nearly as horrible as dealing with a jacked-up one-year-old dog :lol: Good luck to you. Lets cross our fingers for some rain soon, shoot I'd even take a snow storm at this point.
Gertie, they closed schools in Wenatchee, just north of us here in Ellensburg. CWU actually moved its football game today to Bothell, WA. The wind kicked in and blew out a lot of the smoke today, so I worked his butt off here in the yard with a chuckit and tennis ball... then worked on some basic commands, since he gets very complacent if I let him.. (to smart for his own good). He is finally laying here at my feet, relaxed and happy. :mrgreen:

I am hoping to get him to the dog park here in town tomorrow and really run him (although I know 20 min. later he is ready to go again).

Thanks everyone for your replies... appreciate it a lot
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist......

Hunting is part of my heritage I am most proud of....

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:If you can be out in it then the dogs can too. Don't think it would be anywhere thick enough to hurt them if you are out in it with them.

Ezzy
Back when I was a cyclist (road) I wouldn't have gone out and rode on days like that. There is a difference between being out in it and walking versus being in it and riding.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I use the treadmill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 am

Poor gator... Could have at least cut his food back and had him drop weight that way.