Setter coughing.

Croix

Setter coughing.

Post by Croix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 pm

My 2 year old setter has been coughing lately when excited and in the morning. After he's been out and about, he doesn't cough at all A month ago he was running a fever, so I brought him in , they ran a bunch of tests. The only thing that came back was a slight higher number, that pointed to a resp infection. They prescribed an antibiotic, fever went away, but cough remains?? Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan.

Doc E

Re: Setter coughing.

Post by Doc E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Was the dog tested for Heart Worm ?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Croix

Post by Croix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah , he was.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:07 pm

could have been kennel cough. mild transient fever, responds to antibiotics, but the cough can linger for awhile. I have seen it hang on for 3 months. sometimes just takes a long time for the lining of the trachea to regenerate fully.

Croix

Post by Croix » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks Dog Dr,
In your opinion, should I wait and see if gets better/worse? Or is another trip to the vet in order. He did have the kennel cough vaccine at 4 months old or so. Thanks in advance.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 am

Taking the dog in will only perpetuate the spread of kennel caugh if thats what it is. I've always self medicated with a dose of Robitussin dm on the days that are bad (ie caughing so hard they vomit), otherwise a little coughing here or there doesn't scream issue to me, and I just let it take it's course.
Good luck, and I hope it IS just a simple case of k.c.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am

Croix wrote:My 2 year old setter has been coughing lately when excited and in the morning. After he's been out and about, he doesn't cough at all A month ago he was running a fever, so I brought him in , they ran a bunch of tests. The only thing that came back was a slight higher number, that pointed to a resp infection. They prescribed an antibiotic, fever went away, but cough remains?? Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan.
Blasto has similar symptoms as I recall. Eastern river valleys, like the St. Croix and Pine County are hot spots for blasto.
Dan

Croix

Post by Croix » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:09 am

Wyn, thanks.
Just looked up blasto, wow , I sure hope that's not it. I do live on the Mississippi and this area is considered a hotspot. His stamina/energy has decreased but did improve after antibiotics. Probably should bring him in ASAP, any other thoughts.