Heartworm medicine

Kiwi50

Heartworm medicine

Post by Kiwi50 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm

For a year kiwis vet has given me interceptor as her monthly heartworm preventor. I went to get her next 6 month supply only to find out that the company that makes it has been temporarily shut down by the FDA...great huh?! While kiwi was at her trainer last summer for several months he gave her ivermectin. I really respect his opinin, it was juat easier for me to get the pill from the vet until now Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this and what dosage would I need and how is it admistered? She is approx 65 lbs. Thanks!
1.5 year old Chocolate lab named Kiwi. Loves birds, sheds and swimming!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Heartworm medicine

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 am

If you like a pill, consider Heartgard 30+
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am

Kiwi50 wrote:...Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this and what dosage would I need and how is it admistered? She is approx 65 lbs. Thanks!
I have used this for the past year...http://www.amazon.com/Ivomec-Ivermectin ... B001ANQM1W It is MUCH cheaper than heartgard and others like it. It is also easy to administer...1/10 cc per 10 lbs. of dog weight - so you would give 6/10 to 7/10 of a cc. I pull the amount into a syringe and squirt it on a piece of bread, they gobble it up.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Check out the "Hall of Fame Post" here: viewforum.php?f=100 There are 2 Ivomec "post" with a lot of info on it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Heartgard Plus, Iverhart Plus or Iverhart Max should all be fine. Novartis should resume production of Interceptor in the next few months.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Heartgard Plus, Iverhart Plus or Iverhart Max should all be fine. Novartis should resume production of Interceptor in the next few months.
All are fine but ridiculously high priced.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Heartgard Plus, Iverhart Plus or Iverhart Max should all be fine. Novartis should resume production of Interceptor in the next few months.
Forty to forty-five dollars, not counting coupons and rebates, for six months is not high priced at all. Even a downpriced bottle of ivermectin is going to cost around forty dollars and the average owner will not use it up before it expires. The Interceptor thqt was originally used was customarily a little more expensive.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
Forty to forty-five dollars, not counting coupons and rebates, for six months is not high priced at all. Even a downpriced bottle of ivermectin is going to cost around forty dollars and the average owner will not use it up before it expires. The Interceptor thqt was originally used was customarily a little more expensive.
Ivermectin is a whole lot cheaper than Interceptor or any of the other prescription preventive medications. I personally use Ivermec paste. It costs me about six dollars a year for three dogs. I use the paste for convenience but I believe the liquid would average out to about the same, price wise. That is a far cry from forty-five dollars for six months for one dog.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I will bet someone failed the story problems in Math!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eZZY
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm

In Canada Heartgard is $49.00 for 6 months- $8 a treatment.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Kiwi50

Post by Kiwi50 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:16 am

Does ivermectin just cove heart worms or does it cover round worms too?
1.5 year old Chocolate lab named Kiwi. Loves birds, sheds and swimming!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:21 pm

ivermectin will get round worms
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 am

birddogger wrote: Ivermectin is a whole lot cheaper than Interceptor or any of the other prescription preventive medications. I personally use Ivermec paste. It costs me about six dollars a year for three dogs. I use the paste for convenience but I believe the liquid would average out to about the same, price wise. That is a far cry from forty-five dollars for six months for one dog.

Charlie
+1 I think the paste is great. I only have one dog so a $5 tube will last me years. I just wipe a pea sized portion on the roof of my 50lb dog's mouth. Haven't had any worms since we started using it. Now if there was only a cheap alternative to tick and flea prevention!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I got a pretty good deal from here on 12 months of Iverheart Plus: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:49 pm

And here I am getting heartguard for around $55 prior to coupon/rebate for 12 months.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 pm

At what age can pups be put on the Ivermectin paste?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:53 pm

I start mine at about 6 wks with a small amount have to kind of guess dosage compared to weight.