Cracked Toe Nail

DogNewbie

Cracked Toe Nail

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 am

Hello,

Saw last night, after a weekend of hunting, that one of Briar's toe nails is cracked right at the base. I'm able to wiggle it back and forth a bit (almost like the beginning stage of a loose tooth,) but it doesn't seem to be bothering him besides a little licking. He walks and runs fine. It seems like something I just have to let run its course but wanted to check and see if others had suggestions as to how to deal with this. Thanks!

Tim

campgsp

Re: Cracked Toe Nail

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am

Bandage tape helps keep it from getting worse. Especially if you're going to be going on a hunt.

Gooseman07

Cracked Toe Nail

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

A little super glue does wonders. It will come off after a while but it will hold for a few days and help with some healing. You may need to apply. Lately I've been trying to clip or get his nails clipped every couple of weeks to prevent cracked nails.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:47 am

Cool thanks!

Tim

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:16 pm

I hope this doesn't constitute thread stealing, since it deals with essentially the same issue:

I noticed the same thing with my dog this morning. She is not showing any signs of pain or licking it, and it doesn't appear to be broke unless closely inspected. It looks like a hairline fracture that runs from back most of the way to the paw. I was intending to take her and have her nails clipped and dremelled this evening. (my wife can neither hold her nor do the cutting...so we pay for it)

Should I take her and have them do all the other nails, and then superglue the one with the hairline crack? I'm not sure if I should take her in to the vet or not since the quick is not exposed and it doesn't appear to be bothering her. Any other ideas?

Here is a picture:

-John