Eating Grass

gripper39

Eating Grass

Post by gripper39 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Well I went hunting Sun and noticed my dog was eating grass nothing unusual because he does it often with no problems. Today he had a hard time going to the bathroom I had to help him get it out. While helping it looked like string but I noticed it was grass but it was thick like hay. Should I take him in or will he pass the rest on his own? Has anyone had this problem before?

AG74

Re: Eating Grass

Post by AG74 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Both my dogs like to eat grass from time to time and it can be a bit stringy coming back out the other side, but neither have had a problem passing it, although it looks less comfortable coming back out... unless the dog is really stopped up, its probably not a problem.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 pm

nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:19 am

One of my dogs just ate and passed a 3 foot long leash, all she didnt eat was the clasp which she chewed off. Your dog should be fine.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:01 am

Why do dogs eat grass in the first place?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:33 am

Georgia Boy wrote:One of my dogs just ate and passed a 3 foot long leash, all she didnt eat was the clasp which she chewed off. Your dog should be fine.
You are very, very lucky your dog isn't dead. friend of mines shorthair ate a beany baby= very large vet bill :!:

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:34 am

he should be fine. its probably just constipation. it happens to mine when they eat a lot of it. other times they poop great. depends on the grass i think. :D

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 am

Gripper39,

What do you feed your dog, brand and formula?

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

My understanding of why a dog eats grass is because they don't have thumbs and can't roll it.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm

dr tim wrote:My understanding of why a dog eats grass is because they don't have thumbs and can't roll it.

:mrgreen: lol

brettfrancis1

Eating Grass

Post by brettfrancis1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm

dr tim wrote:My understanding of why a dog eats grass is because they don't have thumbs and can't roll it.
Best answer I've ever heard for that.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:34 am

gripper39 wrote:Well I went hunting Sun and noticed my dog was eating grass nothing unusual because he does it often with no problems. Today he had a hard time going to the bathroom I had to help him get it out. While helping it looked like string but I noticed it was grass but it was thick like hay. Should I take him in or will he pass the rest on his own? Has anyone had this problem before?
He will be ok, don't think is the grass that makes him constipated either, must be something else he ate or the dogfood he gets. If he stays constipated a good dose of liquid paraffin will solve the problem. :D

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 pm

AG74 wrote:Both my dogs like to eat grass from time to time and it can be a bit stringy coming back out the other side, but neither have had a problem passing it, although it looks less comfortable coming back out... unless the dog is really stopped up, its probably not a problem.
Does the leash still work??

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Today he had a hard time going to the bathroom I had to help him get it out
It's official, things just got weird.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey Dr. Tim, I just read on the internet that vet's will soon be writing prescriptions for "medicinal" grass for their canine customers. That should help keep our dog's from eating the often street laced "wild sweet grass". And as we all know, everything on the internet is true!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:11 pm

rkappes wrote:Why do dogs eat grass in the first place?
i find that mine eat grass on the hunt when water is not available.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Sharon,
Just curious. Why, while on the hunt, is water not available to your dogs?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Now relax. :) They know where the water bottle is , the pond /river but sometimes just get a quick moisture relief from grass.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I second what Sharon says about moisture.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Sharon, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions on you Ontario types! Here in the U.S. Midwest, the severe summer drought has brought on a lot of sick gun dogs who are drawn to drink ditch water because of, unfortunately, no other option from their handler. With minimal standing water and no movement it becomes concentrated with extreme high levels harmful bacteria, especially the blue/green algae nasties which can put even the healthiest dog in the hurt locker.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm

northUpland wrote:Sharon, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions on you Ontario types! Here in the U.S. Midwest, the severe summer drought has brought on a lot of sick gun dogs who are drawn to drink ditch water because of, unfortunately, no other option from their handler. With minimal standing water and no movement it becomes concentrated with extreme high levels harmful bacteria, especially the blue/green algae nasties which can put even the healthiest dog in the hurt locker.
ROFLMBO Yout foot is sinking deeper into your mouth now. :) We have blue /green algae problems too.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Sharon...My foot is not sinking deeper into my mouth. To be honest I don't know what ROFLMBO means. It must be Canuck I'm only semi fluent! I didn't mean to your ruffle feathers. You know what's up. You're a pro. I just didn't want this thread to collectively become misleading about field water intake.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm

ROFLMBO.... rolling onthe floor laughing my bum off .... canadian version. :)