Food Aversion

boone11

Food Aversion

Post by boone11 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 pm

I am currently battling a food aversion with my English Pointer pup. I believe I bought and fed him a bad batch of Science Diet dog food. He started acting weird almost immediately after I fed him. So I took him to the vet. The vet then told me that it was probably due to this bad batch of food and if I put him on another kind of food he should gobble it right up. Well after getting him home from the vet he still won't eat hard dog food and hasn't eaten any for about three days. So I thought I would try my luck with some soft canned dog food. I went and bought some and the first time I fed him he ate it like there was a hole in his stomach. So the next time I fed him I mixed about a handful of hard food in with the soft and he ate around around all the hard food. So today I tried to feed him just soft food and he wont touch it. When he was eating a little before he shook uncontrollable the whole time he ate. He will however gobble up dog treats, and has eaten the little bit of human food I have given him. I'm trying to get him into the vet again but she is out of town until Monday. I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has dealt with the same kind of stuff as I'm going through now and if you have any help or suggestions, or anything that worked for you to get a dog back to eating hard food.
Thanks for your time.

Mstng_ray

Re: Food Aversion

Post by Mstng_ray » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:40 pm

My 13 week old pup isn't eating much either. Just picks at it off and on all day. And just like yours she will eat treats all day if I let her. Have tried different flavored foods but the same brand. Had her at the vet the other day and everything checked out fine. Hope you get it figured out

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Dogs eat when they are hungry. I have never heard of one starving to death when it had food in front of it. In this case it sounds like the pup did get something that turned it off for a few days but will bet that it will eat whatever you decide to give it if it is hungry. But they are very good at conning you into giving them the treats instead of what they should have, much like kids that want dessert or candy instead of the vegetables.

And I don't see the reasoning when someone says their dog is not eating enough but is in perfect health. I think all that says we have decided how much we want it to eat rather than letting it eat what it wants and needs. Every dog is different and the only way you can tell how much it should eat is watch the dogs condition. If it is getting thinner step up the amount a little and if it doesn't want to eat more it is not a problem unless it persists over a fair amount of time and the dog is getting really thin. Otherwise they are like us and go through periods when they are young where they grow and get thinner for a while and then will catch back up or there maybe times the pup will eat as much as you put in front of it when it doesn't need it but there too you should be able to see the problem with in a week or two.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

boone11

Post by boone11 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I agree with dogs not starving to death but my dog has eaten so little all he does all day is sleep. He usually wrestles with another dog in the house but he doesn't seem to have the energy to do anything but sleep. He also drinks wayyyyy more water than normal.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Did the vet check his teeth? Thats my first thought could have an abscess or stick or something between his teeth. Also check his gums and tongue and all soft tissue in his mouth for cuts or sores.
You might try boiling some chicken pieces with a little plain white rice. Or just cook rice in chicken broth. Thats gentle on the stomach but check that mouth and rule that out. Might have a broken or chipped tooth all knds of things...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Check the teeth and mouth.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

A 3-day history of lethargy and a marked increase in water consumption is concerning. I'd take him back into the vet. Does he have diarrhea or is he just urinating a lot more?
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Since he drinks alot why not supplement his water to give him the protein and vitamins he needs until you get it figured out. Check the teeth as was suggested as Ive been down that road before.

boone11

Post by boone11 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I appreciate all the thoughts from you folks on this board. I was able to get him into the vet today and it appears that he drank some water out in the field that has something in it that in a sense poisoned him. He's staying the weekend at the vet and getting everything flushed out. I greatly appreciate all your help!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Since he drinks alot why not supplement his water to give him the protein and vitamins he needs until you get it figured out. Check the teeth as was suggested as Ive been down that road before.
At this stage I wouldn't give anything without vet approval. You can do more damage than good just guessing.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Sure call your Vet but What harm could it cause? Dog needs nourishment.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:59 am

Satin balls..... Slowly add food if you don't want to have a skinny dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Sure call your Vet but What harm could it cause? Dog needs nourishment.
Untill the bad bacteria have been identified and killed, food often just feeds them and lets them reproduce. That is why nature usually kills your appetite when you are ill. Same for a dog, but some where along the line we developed the false opinion that dogs should always eat when WE think they should. There is nothing serious going to happen if the dog doesn't eat for a few days till the problem is diagnosised. Most animals can get along without food for weeks, it is fiuids that are much more important. And you sure don't want to try and have it eat some high fat type of food when it is ill.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:22 am

Except for the fact that he mentioned that the dog is weak from lack of food, I might agree with you but if a dog truely is weak, it needs food. Humans can communicate what they need and even then, they may need to be force fed. Dogs can't communicate that need and IF they reach the point of "being weak" we need to do what's best for them and that doesn't include starving them for "a few days".!!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Except for the fact that he mentioned that the dog is weak from lack of food, I might agree with you but if a dog truely is weak, it needs food. Humans can communicate what they need and even then, they may need to be force fed. Dogs can't communicate that need and IF they reach the point of "being weak" we need to do what's best for them and that doesn't include starving them for "a few days".!!!!
Tell us how you determine a dog is weak from starvation? Might it be the dog doesn't feel good and just wants to lay there? Humans as I recall often want to just lay and not move much when ill, and that on the first day. I guess I just haven't seen a dog that I thought was weak from starvation when they aren't feeling well for a few days.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 am

Quit trolling me Ezzy! I was going off of the owners description of HIS dog. He thinks it is weak because of lack of food so I offered a viable solution so get off my butt. Sometimes, as owners we have to step in and help our friends when needed. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there are supplements out there that can help us do just that.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:42 pm

boone11 wrote:I appreciate all the thoughts from you folks on this board. I was able to get him into the vet today and it appears that he drank some water out in the field that has something in it that in a sense poisoned him. He's staying the weekend at the vet and getting everything flushed out. I greatly appreciate all your help!

Any new news to-day?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Quit trolling me Ezzy! I was going off of the owners description of HIS dog. He thinks it is weak because of lack of food so I offered a viable solution so get off my butt. Sometimes, as owners we have to step in and help our friends when needed. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there are supplements out there that can help us do just that.
I am more concerned with telling the OP what he should do for his dog rather than go along with what he posted. That is why we are here. I don't have time to troll you, what ever that means, since you post on every subject and I have other responsibilities to take care of. But I will comment when someone says he his dog is crying in pain every time it steps down on it's broken leg and you tell him to amputate the leg. There are better solutions.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Quit trolling me Ezzy! I was going off of the owners description of HIS dog. He thinks it is weak because of lack of food so I offered a viable solution so get off my butt. Sometimes, as owners we have to step in and help our friends when needed. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there are supplements out there that can help us do just that.
I am more concerned with telling the OP what he should do for his dog rather than go along with what he posted. That is why we are here. I don't have time to troll you, what ever that means, since you post on every subject and I have other responsibilities to take care of. But I will comment when someone says he his dog is crying in pain every time it steps down on it's broken leg and you tell him to amputate the leg. There are better solutions.

Ezzy
Take heart Al, a few people on here think they know it all, and don't know how to deal , in a diplomatic manner, with anybody who disagrees with them.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

boone11

Post by boone11 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:08 am

Sharon,
The vet is currently monitoring him all weekend.I talked to him this evening and he hasn't ate but is urinating so the prognosis looks good. He is on IV's for fluids and antibiotics. The vet is essentially flushing him out to get whatever poison is in him out. Thanks for the concern.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 am

boone11 wrote:Sharon,
The vet is currently monitoring him all weekend.I talked to him this evening and he hasn't ate but is urinating so the prognosis looks good. He is on IV's for fluids and antibiotics. The vet is essentially flushing him out to get whatever poison is in him out. Thanks for the concern.
Sounds like he is on the way to recovery. They have to get rid of whatever kind of bug he picked up, but as long as he is drinking you should be OK. Just be sure to watch him for a week or two after he comes home to make sure it doesn't re-appear.

Glad you ot it identified before more damage was done.

Ezzy

boone11

Post by boone11 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Got some bad news today. My little buddy didn't make it. Thanks for all the kind words. Toughest thing I've ever had to go through.....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:12 pm

So sorry to hear this. I was kind of afraid it was a serious problem but then on your last post it sounded like he had turned the corner. It is hard to get everything out of the gut before the damage is done. I guess we kind of jumped the gun in our anxiety to have him get well. Again, I'm so very sorry.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:52 pm

That's too bad. So sorry.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:30 pm

boone11 wrote:Got some bad news today. My little buddy didn't make it. Thanks for all the kind words. Toughest thing I've ever had to go through.....
You knew in your gut that things weren't right, and you did the best you could for the little guy in getting him veterinary care. Sorry for your loss.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 am

Sorry to hear this boone. Not to exasberate the pain of your loss but were they able to islolate what happened? Just wondering as it may be a teaching tool for those of us with pups.

boone11

Post by boone11 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:54 am

Sounds like he was diabetic. Somehow developed it or was born with it.