Fluid build up...

Ghosted3

Fluid build up...

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 pm

I noticed that my 18wk old springer has fluid build up behind each joint on the front legs about the size of a ping pong ball. He does go the vet tomorrow. I just thought that it was really odd that it happened to both legs at the same time in the same spot at about same size. Thanks a ton if someone has an idea if they know what it is, much appreciated.

Corry

campgsp

Re: Fluid build up...

Post by campgsp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:49 pm

I've seen this on dogs that just lay around on concrete all the time. Could be from that...?

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm

He is in his crate a little more than I would like, but he does have a bed in there so he has a lot of padding. Vet appt. is in about 90min. so hopefully I will have the definitive answer then.

Corry

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:14 pm

What was the outcome? Everything ok?

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:10 pm

He said he hopes that it was just a flare up, but if it comes back again they are going to treat it as some type of joint and nerve disorder, sorry I cant remember the name of it. He got a shot of anti-inflammatory and some antibiotics. Hopefully all is well and it never comes back. Thank you for the concern!

Corry

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Panosteitis?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:23 pm

It started with an S, but for the life of me I cant remember the name of it.

Corry

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Sensory neropathy?

I hope it was just something antibiotics can take care of. Hope it all works out.

frontline

Post by frontline » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Test for Lyme Disease.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 am

Fluid is coming back, so it is back to the vet soon.

Corry

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 am

Sorry to hear this Corry. I wish you the best of luck in this situation.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks, Hopefully it is something that can be dealt with and not have to put him down. He is only19wks old on this coming Monday and I have a 9yr old and a 4yr old that adore him. Thanks for the well wishes.

Corry

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Are they on the back of the joints? Two of mine had fluid build up on the back of their elbows when they were younger. The vet drained them and checked the fluid. I forget all the details but it was from bumping them. One of the pups we had drained twice and it kept coming back so just left it, eventually the fluid was reabsorbed and they never had any problems. My vet said when whe sees them it was usually on pups.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 pm

stlgsp wrote:Are they on the back of the joints? Two of mine had fluid build up on the back of their elbows when they were younger. The vet drained them and checked the fluid. I forget all the details but it was from bumping them. One of the pups we had drained twice and it kept coming back so just left it, eventually the fluid was reabsorbed and they never had any problems. My vet said when whe sees them it was usually on pups.
That is what my vet is hoping what it is, but it is in both elbow areas at the same time, and he drained them on Friday, and by Sunday you could notice the fluid coming back already, but I let it go for a bit to give the antibiotics time to work, but now they are bigger than they were when we went the first time. I was not able to get him in there today because I was lucky enough to get the flu, but hopefully I can get him in there tomorrow and get some more answers.

Corry

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm

I have to wait until Tuesday at 10:30am to get him in there to see if there is anything different that can be done.

Corry

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:It started with an S, but for the life of me I cant remember the name of it.

Corry

seroma
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 am

No, not Seroma. I had to change days and get him in there today, and the vet changed his toon, so if things dont smooth over soon for my dog I am off to find another vet. Long story short, My ESS is pretty small for his age, getting close to 5 months and he is 17lbs and he had about 1/2 cup of fluid behid (total) his front joints. I asked the vet again as to what he thought it was and now he said he thinks that the cartilage isnt solid yet and is still growing, but is causing issues with the joints ergo causing the fluid. To me that just sounds off of the wall to happen period, let alone to both front legs at the same time.
Is this something that anyone else has had experience with before or is my vet way out in left field? Thanks for the feedback its much appreciated

Corry

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 am

Get a different vet. 17 lbs at 5 months would really worry me. Get that checked out too.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 am

campgsp wrote:Get a different vet. 17 lbs at 5 months would really worry me. Get that checked out too.
2nd vet so far and he was small when I left the first vet, and neither of them worried about his weight at all. They say you never know when he will hit a growth spirt, which he could be in now honestly, because I took him vet friday before last, then again on yesterday and he gained 3lbs so maybe now he is gonna pack on some weight. He has tons of heart and a big desire to please, he just might not pull ducks outta ponds lol.

Corry

*Edit* honestly as soon as these meds run out that he gave me I am going to a different vet because the fluid is building back up, and I have had fluid on my knee and elbow and I know it bothered me so I know it has to bother him.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 pm

search elbow hygroma. When mine had this my vet drew a little fluid to test but when they found no problems they recommended not draining them. Each time you drain you are increasing the risk of introducing infection and they will refill anyway. If this is what it is, it will eventually go away.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks I will check that out!

Corry