Need some help

dog dr

Need some help

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

I have a client with a 10 yr old female Visla that has developed a fairly severe anxiety issue over the last 3-4 months. The physical exam is normal, and I will get bloodwork results tomorrow. He describes her as always nervous and trembling while in the house. Everything seems to frighten her - the neighbors upstairs, the wood floor that he has always had, going up the stairs, even if he talks loud with his wife - she trembles and is looking for a place to hide. Storms, and distant gunfire as well. I asked him if she had a problem with him shooting and he says no, that is not a problem. BUT, somebody goose hunting not too far from their place caused the same signs. she is still in good condition, but he says has lost some weight. This is a hunting dog and she has never had any kind of issue like this before. The guy is Polish with a heavy accent, so sometimes I have a hard time understanding him, but i feel like I have the gist of the history with this dog. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?? we are gonna try her on an anti-anxiety herbal supplement for now to see if it helps, but i am really perplexed as to why a 10 yr old hunting dog would suddenly have anxiety issues like this. I asked him more than once if there was any kind of traumatic incident that could have caused this, or if anything major had changed in the dogs life/routine, and he says no. Any ideas??

campgsp

Re: Need some help

Post by campgsp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Could be a trama. Maybe she was beat. Or shot by some kids with a pellets gun. Its hard to say. I would think gunshy but he shoots over her no problem.
Could be her age is catching up with here and she is loosing reality.
It can be a number of reasons.
I hope you find out why..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Any storms in your area recently? Also check her hearing and eye sight. There might be something physical that has changed that is causing the problem, even stray electricity like we run into in the barn with Dairy cattle. Not likely but worth checking if you can'r find anything else. I have a female that I think got tickled a couple of years ago when lightning struck a tree not too far from the kennel and that brought on a mild case of anxiety when there are storms in the area, but she was pretty clingy for a while after that which has gotten better.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm

See if she has night restlessness, if she walks into corners and can't remember to turn around or has any urinary incontinence or accidents. I have had several clients use Cholodin with excellent results in situations where cognitive function seemed to be deteriorating. When my old boy retired at eleven and came to live with me, he would pace an area the size of his old kennel and have aggressive waking episodes at night. With Cholodin, he recovered to normal cognition.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Check her thyroid levels and antibodies. And know that low normal might be too low for that particular dog.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

no urinary issues that he has noticed, that seems to be normal. we discussed the possibility of canine dementia, but that doesnt really seem to fit. as far as i am able to evaluate her eyes and hearing they seem to be okay as well. no clinical signs of low thyroid. i think thewre had to be SOmething that happened with this dog he doesnt know about, but who knows. his other V is doing great, and i am pretty sure they are together all the time.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Dog Doc...PLEASE check the dog's thyroid levels and also check for antibodies. Subclinical hypothyroid can cause behavioral issues, as can autoimmune problems. You might be surprised that even with 'normal' levels on paper, treatment with low dose thyroid supplementation can give good results.

Been there done that with not one one but two dogs. The first was many years ago before sending bloodwork out was the thing to do..old doc just said " Let's try some thyroid and see what happens" and was spot on. Other dog more recent and required much more convincing of current vet that he is treating my dog, not my dog's lab reports :D

If you google 'dog thyroid anxiety' you'll find plenty of info. Read what Dr. Jean Dodds writes about it.

Good luck with your patient.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm

I've also had a dog successfully treated by chiropractic adjustment for noise reactivity accompanied by muscular atrophy in the hindquarters. C1-2 subluxation and sacral misalignment. See if she can balance with a hind leg up.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 pm

shags wrote:Dog Doc...PLEASE check the dog's thyroid levels and also check for antibodies. Subclinical hypothyroid can cause behavioral issues, as can autoimmune problems. You might be surprised that even with 'normal' levels on paper, treatment with low dose thyroid supplementation can give good results.

Been there done that with not one one but two dogs. The first was many years ago before sending bloodwork out was the thing to do..old doc just said " Let's try some thyroid and see what happens" and was spot on. Other dog more recent and required much more convincing of current vet that he is treating my dog, not my dog's lab reports :D

If you google 'dog thyroid anxiety' you'll find plenty of info. Read what Dr. Jean Dodds writes about it.

Good luck with your patient.
I will check the thyroid. I am doubtful, but will definitely give it a try. I sure didnt remember low thyroid could cause anxiety, but reviewed it and its there. will see what we get, thanks.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:07 pm

I sure wish your office was in my area, nice to see a Dr. doing the best for their clients.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

frontline

Post by frontline » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Endocrine disorders. Hypoglycemia, Addison's, Cushing's ....

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Maybe the dog started having seizures. V's are prone to it and the Thyroid levels seem to have a connection.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

campgsp wrote:Could be a trama. Maybe she was beat. Or shot by some kids with a pellets gun. Its hard to say. I would think gunshy but he shoots over her no problem.
Could be her age is catching up with here and she is loosing reality.
It can be a number of reasons.
I hope you find out why..
I second the underlined sentence in the quote above. I have seen this in my own dogs as they age. One , all of a sudden , started getting lost at 10 years of age and not being able to focus on you firmly. We'd eventually find her back at the car ; probably had a mini stroke/dementia? I'm told anipryl helps
. I haven't had a lot of old dogs , but I'm learning that things are not going to be the same as they age.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 am

Garrison wrote:I sure wish your office was in my area, nice to see a Dr. doing the best for their clients.
I second that! He saved me a lot of money when my little dog tore its ACL.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 am

It presented itself so quickly that I'm not inclined to think it's because of her age, so most of the suggestions above sound good for diagnosing the cause.

To treat her anxiety, I suggest Super Calming Blend. Google it, you'll find it. It's an all-natural oil which is supposed to really help with situations like this. I have never used it personally, but I have friends that swear by it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:55 am

Is the super calming blend like aceing a horse? If so is it safe to give a 5 month old puppy 3x a day for about another two years?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I checked the thyroid and it was low normal, so gonna start her on the supplement and see what happens. Thanks shags!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 pm

ultracarry wrote:Is the super calming blend like aceing a horse? If so is it safe to give a 5 month old puppy 3x a day for about another two years?
There really isn't anything in it that I think could be considered harmful; it's basically an oil with a bunch of different scents in it. Probably safe, but I think its effectiveness might wear off if its used 3x a day - the pup will just get used to it. My guess, at least.
Anyway - like I said, i've never used it, but I have friends that swear by it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 pm

:lol: :lol:
ultracarry wrote:Is the super calming blend like aceing a horse? If so is it safe to give a 5 month old puppy 3x a day for about another two years?
Lot of good info on this from you all.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick