shorthairs & leg issues

MN Bonasa

shorthairs & leg issues

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Looking for some reasons as to why my shorthair seems to every now and then to come down with a gimpy leg. Are shorthairs succeptable to sprains and bruises because of their long legs? Example: was playing with the chuck-it ball and thrower to get some excersize. All seemed fine when we were done as we were going to head out of town for a two hour drive so I could go deer hunting. Well when we got to the cabin she comes up gimpy. favoring the left leg. This has happened a few times before and seems to bounce back after a few days of rest. I wonder if jumping for bouncing balls in the air causes these issues, because she loves to get airborne for them as they bounce off the ground and comes down awkwards every now and then. She limps a little but can still run on it if she wants to.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: shorthairs & leg issues

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Rear leg?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:57 pm

I have a shorthair who does the same thing. I am not sure how old your pup is but mine is 8. I guess with the miles I have put on her over the years I expect ole gir'ls drive train may not be what it used to be. I will say that if I let her warm up a bit before I really let her go hard, she seems to do better. Also, if I let her get a out of shape, the problem seems to crop up a bit more.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Rear leg?

front left leg Casey.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm

MN Bonasa wrote:Looking for some reasons as to why my shorthair seems to every now and then to come down with a gimpy leg. Are shorthairs succeptable to sprains and bruises because of their long legs? Example: was playing with the chuck-it ball and thrower to get some excersize. All seemed fine when we were done as we were going to head out of town for a two hour drive so I could go deer hunting. Well when we got to the cabin she comes up gimpy. favoring the left leg. This has happened a few times before and seems to bounce back after a few days of rest. I wonder if jumping for bouncing balls in the air causes these issues, because she loves to get airborne for them as they bounce off the ground and comes down awkwards every now and then. She limps a little but can still run on it if she wants to.
I thought this was an excellent link:

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-hea ... imping.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Spayed ?
If so, at what age ?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 am

Depending on what kind of ground surface your dog is jumping on to catch the ball that could be partly the problem.

I also wonder how many GSP owners are feeding young dogs 6 to 12 months old performance 30/20 foods that in my opinon could cause PANO and present
in different degrees especially in fast growing large male dog. I have seen this to be true in other large breeds I have raised and trained many years ago. I haven't had a dog with any limping issues since I started feeding pups 24/14 Canidae when it was only ONE formula. Now they call it "All Life Stage".

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Two CCL repairs in my first GSP. Spayed at 8 mos before first heat. No problem with second GSP, male neutered at 1.6 years.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm

I've been fighting off and on lameness for several months and it turned out to be a fungus. A few days soaking it in Betadine fixed it. Pm me if you want to look for it.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I've been fighting off and on lameness for several months and it turned out to be a fungus. A few days soaking it in Betadine fixed it. Pm me if you want to look for it.
Nice to know you finally found out what it was.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Brad. I only figured it out because I started treating both front paws thinking it was thin pads and I transferred the fungus to the other paw. It's crazy to think that a fungus can cause so much discomfort but yet it's so hard to find. Not even the Vet figured it out.