Anal sacs

GSP4619

Anal sacs

Post by GSP4619 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Have any of you experienced this with yours? If so is it seriouse? What did you do?

I can't see anything on her bottom but I can smell it. I have a apt Tuesday to get her checked cause of the smell. It's not all the time she gets this smell but she has all the signs pointing to it. Scooting her bottom on the floor, licking alot, and real quick she will jerk at her nub underneath like she got a quick itch.

Thanks for any info.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:47 pm

The anul glands need to be expressed it sounds like. Have the vet show you what to do. Its pretty simple.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 am

Will do.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:09 am

I have a chronic anal gland problem with my oldest male. I need to have them expressed monthly at the vets. The gland itself is thick and hardened so it is very difficult, along with the muscle resistance he gives me back there, for me to express them myself. It's a very thick excretion too. Just something I have to deal with. He will strain when going potty, first indication of a problem.

Occasionally, my female will look a little "puffy" and I can easily express them by pushing on them from the outside.

Normally, these are self-expressing glands when the dog poops. Sometimes...they need a little help. I use wet paper towels with dish soap to clean up their rear-ends and get rid of the smell.

Good luck!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:36 am

if you are having to have then expressed once a month, I would consider having them surgically removed. it is a simple procedure, that when done right you can hardly tell it was ever done. anal sacs are just scent glands that the dog doesnt need. if they cause a problem, cut'em out!

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:26 am

dog dr wrote:if you are having to have then expressed once a month, I would consider having them surgically removed. it is a simple procedure, that when done right you can hardly tell it was ever done. anal sacs are just scent glands that the dog doesnt need. if they cause a problem, cut'em out!
My vet is very hestitant in doing this because of the numerous nerves that surround the anus. He fears any accidental damage to those nerves can cause problems which we can then never control, such as, loss of feeling of when to/when not to potty, accidents in the house, etc, etc. We decided to take this route as long as it can alleviate to problem for awhile and leave surgery as a very last resort.

I should have them done monthly, for ease of getting them cleaned out but, I typically end up going longer.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 am

I don't think they are that bad. It has only been twice that the smell almost knocked us out. Also seems like when she scoots she takes care of the problem. When I look, I don't see anything. But could be inside. I just wash her bottom. Tomorrow is the apt.

Thanks for all the input & info, I appreciate it :)

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Went to the vets Ava's stinky bottom is anal sacs LOL. But the vet is not concerned they are not bad. So he showed me what to do and I have to say boy oh boy the stench when he did it. Ava turned and looked at me with such a face. I said yep thats you Ava not your dad. Me & the vet thought it was funny Danny just blushed hahahahahaha.

But all is ok and thanks for the help :)

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 pm

I know someone that had a very good field trial dog. He had the sacs removed after being assured by the vet that it would not have any bad affect on the dog. He retired the dog shortely afterward because he would not hold his tail up while on point.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:43 pm

well, the ones i have done have not had any problems. I have removed them on about half a dozen or so dogs. yes, the textbook will tell you there is a risk of incontinence or nerve damage to the peri-anal region, but I still think there is a way to do it without damaging the nerves. BUT, as alays, I could be wrong. I removed them on my dog and he shows no ill effects. as long as you dont mind expressing them, then no need to remove them.