Rattlesnake vaccine vs. aversion training?

benelli

Post by benelli » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 pm

A while ago I was looking into rattlesnake aversion training (we're in the Mojave Desert, so we definitely have a few rattlesnakes around), but I haven't been able to get it done yet because none of the places I tried contacting would respond. But now there have been a couple of posts about the rattlesnake vaccine - so I'm wondering, which is actually more common/beneficial to do? Or do you do both?

bossman

Re: Rattlesnake vaccine vs. aversion training?

Post by bossman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Many opinions on this subject, but I do both.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Let me know if you want the snake avoidance done.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353129038.677979.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:20 am

My thinking is you would want the avoidance training to start with. You don't want your dog sticking its nose in there out of curiosity and getting bit.

My vet was not sold on the vaccine, but I don't know that she has a lot of experience with it.
Steve

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

bossman wrote:Many opinions on this subject, but I do both.
Living where you live I would do both +1

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Snake vaccine is only supposed to give you extra time to get to the vet ...The dog will still require medical attention
UC Davis also is not sold on the vaccine mainly do to the lack of real evidence that it truly works because this vaccine is not tested in real control studies.

I also am not sold on it and much rather try to do what I can to not have my pups and dogs be remotely curious about Mr Buzz Stick then get hit in a vital area and have a dead dog because that vaccine gave me a false sense of security

I tell people Snake Avoidance is Insurance and the vaccine is uninsured motorist
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 am

The snake vaccine does work and it limits the amount of treatment in most cases. With that said, you will want to do the avoidance for sure because the vaccine does little to no help if it gets bitten by a Mojave Rattler. Mojave's contain Neuro toxin which is oblivious to the vaccine. The good news is that mojave's have been found to have both types of venom meaning that they have bred to other types of snakes in the area and the vaccine could help in that situation.

Bottom line is: considering that you live in an area that is considered high risk for rattlers, I would do both. Training is number one for you because the Mojave Rattler is up to 14 times more toxic than a diamomd back.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 am

High Desert Hunt Club is probably the closest place to you that I trust for avoidance training.They are located at Tejon Ranch in Gorman, CA. Bob Worrell is the lead trainer there and he knows your breed well. He also offers the vaccine during those clinics or by appointment.

benelli

Post by benelli » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I just contacted High Desert Hunt Club, so we'll see if that works out, and otherwise I'll take Brad up on his offer. :)

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Aversion training definitely, without a doubt, do it.

Vaccine is a more debatable choice. In my area, I wouldn't do it, but you're not in my area.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Hunt where there are no snakes. :lol:

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 pm

I went for both. A heavy dose of aversion training(aka snake therapy) while living in TX and MO for the last 9 years. I did annual aversion and then shot them up with RedRocks vaccine and annual boosters. I hoped the vac would give me little more time if one of them got hit. Plus, I was a transplant MA Yankee living in the deep south, running pointers, and scared as heck of rattlers! Not so much for me, but my dogs! We all lived to tell the tale but do not discount aversion training! That was the only reason I did not have to rely on a vaccine to save a dogs life.

FYI. Living in Wisco now is alot easier on my snake anxiety issues!