Question about food allergies?

Blade

Question about food allergies?

Post by Blade » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:48 pm

My wifes GSP developed hair loss and itching after she had her litter of pups. We were told stress causes hair loss. This went on for a week and we took her in to the vet. They treated her for mites, give her a dip treatment. She seemed a little better after that. They told us to dry her up and have her spayed. We did that and she did much better.

After my GSP had pups I put her on the same puppy food (Diamond) that my wifes dog was on after she had pups. I fed both dogs the puppy food, to get it used up, and my wifes dog started to itch really bad again. Took her back to the vet and they said it was allergies. Took her off the puppy food and she is doing great. I run out of the Diamond puppy and put my female dog on Performance blend.

My question is, do you think my wifes dog will be allergic to all of the Diamond food line? Or do you think she would be fine on the Performace blend. I don't want to have to feed 2 different foods if I can help it. And I don't want to try the Performance brand and put her through the itching again, even for a little bit. Or is that the only way I will know?

Any help would be greatfull. Thanks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:03 pm

Try it and see. At this point you don't really know what she is allergic to. In the past corn used to get blamed quite often but they have since found that corn is seldom the cause. Rather than go to the expense of finding exactly what is causing the problem I would just go on a trial basis and see what works.

Ezzy
Last edited by ezzy333 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:29 pm

Sometimes there is some post-pregnancy hair loss. Could be that.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:05 am

soiunds to me like your wifes dog had demodectic mange. i would try her on the food and see what happens. if she starts itching, get her an allergy shot to get her thru it and then switch the food back again.