4 week old puppy feeding

jbonesky

4 week old puppy feeding

Post by jbonesky » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

so my Cocker's mutt pups are 4 weeks now and the teeth are comming through. and honestly they're are wearing my Cocker out.. Is it ok to start them on canned food with puppy formula or milk? if so any special canned food i should be giving them?
thanks

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: 4 week old puppy feeding

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

At four weeks, all of my pups were already eating momma's dry food. Get them a small bite size puppy or all life stage, put a little warm water on it and get out of the way.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am

Cajun Casey wrote:At four weeks, all of my pups were already eating momma's dry food. Get them a small bite size puppy or all life stage, put a little warm water on it and get out of the way.
Thank you very much Cajun i'd just been reading about canned food. lmao yet again why i love this forum!!!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm

I think canned meat would be to rich at this age. I have just taken moms food, it should be high protein and high fat anyway, and soak the food in warm water NO MILK and use a food processor or blender to make a thin batter consistancy. Pour in pie tins or flat pans as they will lick it up and walk in it too. Feed them 2 times a day and increase the thickness each week. You can leave some dry food around for them to try if you like. They will chew dry puppy food closer to 6 weeks.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:26 pm

thank you as well mikeb.. did what ya'll said and they did really well and seem to like it! pretty much just had to point them in the right direction and then stand back

brad27

4 week old puppy feeding

Post by brad27 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I'd the food is soaked in warm water there is no need the blend it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

MikeB wrote:I think canned meat would be to rich at this age. I have just taken moms food, it should be high protein and high fat anyway, and soak the food in warm water NO MILK and use a food processor or blender to make a thin batter consistancy. Pour in pie tins or flat pans as they will lick it up and walk in it too. Feed them 2 times a day and increase the thickness each week. You can leave some dry food around for them to try if you like. They will chew dry puppy food closer to 6 weeks.
Canned food is between 70 and 80% water and basically a completeaste of money.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:18 am

yeah i've been soaking it in warm water and smashing it up a bit with fork, and they've been going at it on a mission

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 am

Really no need to wet or smash it. Often you will see puppies eating out of mom's bowl during a feeding.I just feed puppies dry puppy food from the start.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Ezzy,
Why did you highlight my post and say :
"Canned food is between 70 and 80% water and basically a complete waste of money."

I didn't say anything about using canned food. I agree with you it's not needed at all. Just use the puppy food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:30 pm

MikeB wrote:Ezzy,
Why did you highlight my post and say :
"Canned food is between 70 and 80% water and basically a complete waste of money."

I didn't say anything about using canned food. I agree with you it's not needed at all. Just use the puppy food.
You stated canned food might be too rich and I added that it is a waste of money too. Sorry if adding some info to your post is a problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.