bad weekend!

tradhuntr

bad weekend!

Post by tradhuntr » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:27 am

well this weekend i took my gps scout on a hike to do some tranning and maybe get him on some wild birds. well he found 6 ruffed grouse :) and seamed to be doing quit good. well this morning when i got up to feed him his eye was a swollen and full of pus well i thought that he might have botten something in his eye :? like dirt or some thing and i flushed it out. well taking a closer look i notices a spot in the center of his eye so i called the vet for a emergincy call. :( well we found out that he has a thorn stuck in his eye ball they sudated him and got what was at the serfice out and they noticed that there was still a pice still in his that that had broken off. they are going to see what they can do but it looks like we are going to need sergury...hope fully he wount lose his eye. if any one has any thing like this happen any help would be great. i will keep everyone updated on his recovery we woun't know for sure what will happen till monday somtime.

W.Hunt

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:55 pm

I am sorry to hear that. I hope scout does not loose his eye either. I hope the surgery goes well.

GSPinROCH

Post by GSPinROCH » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:57 pm

If its any compelation, I work in the medical field (for humans)and the human body is a miraculous thing, and knowing this and knowing that animals are very resiliant, its very possible that scout could make it through this. The body has its ways of dealing with such "foreign bodies" so good luck.

Chris

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:41 pm

I hope all works out. Keep us posted about his progress.

Blade

Post by Blade » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well.

tradhuntr

Post by tradhuntr » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:24 am

well scout is home. he came home late monday afternoon. they were able to get it out with out surgery. they useed some type of drawing sav to get the second peice out. we are putting a antibiotic on it every 4 hours and he is takeing a pill also. they said that he will be fine. he has some scaring on his eye but they said that it shouldn't change his vision. yesterday he was back to his old self. i was out in the yard with him and was running around fine. and was still able to catch a ball out of the air in the dark so i think he will be fine. hope fully he will be up to hunting. our grouse and phesanet season dosen't start till mid oct. so he should be good by then. thanks for th esuport and advice if anything changes i will keep everyone updated...

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:36 am

Glad to hear he's doing well!
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

Blade

Post by Blade » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:15 am

Glad to hear that everything went well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 am

Tradhuntr,

Maybe you can get safety glasses for him. They always say you should wear them when you go into the woods. Just think of the exposure our dogs have.

Probably shouldn't have mention that as some humane society prson will try to get a law passed that we do just that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am

Glad he's ok. I am forever cleaning out the dogs eyes of seeds and such, but have never found a thorn in there. I did pull one out of Brook's foot that went up between her toes and out the other side. I have also seen her stop in mid run, reach down with her mouth and pull on out of her foot and continue on hunting. It was so big I walked up and found it on the ground where she was.
PointFlushRetrieve.com - Personal Gun Dog Blog- Are You Ready? Is your gun dog ready

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:42 am

I also am glad everything turned out OK.

I did not want to hijack your thread earlier, while the outcome was in doubt, but in the interests of letting people know the importance of eyecare, I had a somewhat similar experience with my current dog when she was about a year old. She was a big and enthusiastic runner. She took off after a deer on the prairie one day, and just about caught the thing too. Somewhere along the way she ran into a branch. No spike or thorn in the eye. But later in the evening her eye started to bother her and there was some discharge. I washed it with isotonic solution, looked for seeds, cleaned it out, really saw nothing.

By the next morning it was really bothering her, so out of what I thought was an excess of caution, we stopped the hunt and drove her 60 miles to the nearest vet for a check up.

Turned out she had bruised the eyeball badly enough to cause internal swelling. The vet said if we had not brought her in within the next few hours, she would have lost the eye. As it was, a little medication and a week's rest took care of it.

Take good care of em.

tradhuntr

Post by tradhuntr » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:50 am

ezzy333 wrote:Tradhuntr,

Maybe you can get safety glasses for him. They always say you should wear them when you go into the woods. Just think of the exposure our dogs have.

Probably shouldn't have mention that as some humane society prson will try to get a law passed that we do just that.

Ezzy
well i had thought of this. i found this web site http://www.doggles.com/.

i couldn't belive it when i saw his eye. saturday after the hike i looked him over really well for ticks and cuts stuff like that. it was strange he wasn't rubbing his eye it seamed normal. it is definetly something i will look for every time he is afield. from what the vet said it didn't go stright in but it was on a angle so i think that is what saved his eye. i didn't get to see the thorn after they took it out. i was hopeing to see how big it was.

GSPinROCH

Post by GSPinROCH » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:01 pm

glad to hear hes ok

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:42 am

I am so glad to hear that!!!

Good news!!!

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:46 am

Glad to hear he's ok.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

tradhuntr

Post by tradhuntr » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:48 am

went to the vet friday night and everything is Aok. the vet said that he was vary lucky to still have his eye. we still give him the pill but dosn't need the sav in his eye. i am holding off on training till the pills are gone witch will be this comeing weekend.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:03 pm

Glad to hear your dog is ok. I often worried about one of my GSPs who thought he was an abrams tank. He would try to bust thru any thick brush regardless of injury. I bought him a pair of doggles for eye protection. He wanted nothing to do with them and would always pull them off. Both my other GSP's, same results. Same with my buddys lab. Good idea, but I have yet to see a GSP that'll wear a set..................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.