1 year vaccinations

nanney1

1 year vaccinations

Post by nanney1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I used to do annuals and have gradually backed off from that over the years. My most recent adult dog had puppy shots and nothing else beyond the initial rounds. He's now almost 3.

Current pup is now due for her 1 yr. annual vaccines. She has had her puppy shots but that was it. Is the one year necessary? I'm beginning to wonder at this point. Just received the reminder from my vet in the mail.

I know some never get anything but the puppy vaccinations and some do the one year and then back off. Just looking for opinions.

Fran Seagren

Re: 1 year vaccinations

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Here's my opinion - series of puppy shots, the one-year vaccination, again at four years, maybe at seven.

My "opinion" is simply based on what various veterinarians have told me over the years including the article written by vets on this subject, internet research, and personal experience. The "personal experience" probably doesn't count for much. Even though all of our dogs over the past 23 years (using the above vaccination schedule) have never contracted anything, I'm sure there a lot of variables in how dogs are fed, raised, etc., that would affect their immune systems. I actually suspect that after the initial puppy vaccination series dogs don't ever need another booster. :)

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 pm

my schedual exactly...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 am

Mine is somewhat similar - puppy series, one-year shot and then thereafter, every 3 years for boosters. I do kennel cough more often because I foster dogs here and they're always coming in sick.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

I do puppy shots, but no kennel cough, and 3 year rabies.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 am

Sorry to butt in here, but i have the same question, my dog is only a pup but would i need the yearly shots? he lives outside in a kennel (has an indoor box too) but i dont want him to catch something form another animal, like you said he might be at more of risk or have a dfferent immune system\
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.