Any down sides to neutering a bird dog?

ptrthgr8

Any down sides to neutering a bird dog?

Post by ptrthgr8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi, all.

I'm new to hunting/gun dogs, so please excuse any dumbness on my part. Be gentle with me. :)

Are there any down sides to neutering a hunting dog? My little Remy (Weimaraner pup) is about 3 months old now; will be due for a chop job around the end of January or early February (assuming we take him in at the 6 month mark). All of the dogs I've ever had in the past have been spayed or neutered, but none of them have been hunting dogs. Is there a down side to getting a hunting dog fixed? Would it reduce his effectiveness out in the field? I don't plan on breeding him, so that's not a concern. But I also don't want to get him chopped if there's really no reason to do so. (And I don't know if I buy the "can't get testicular cancer" point in the pro/con debate... if I lopped off both of my legs below the knee I would never have to worry about a broken ankle in the future. It's not a solid argument for permanently altering a creature's physiology.)

So... am I over thinking this? Or is there a valid reason for not neutering the little guy?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
"It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope and pride. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." Patrick Henry, 1775

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Any down sides to neutering a bird dog?

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I can think of more "issues" by NOT getting them neutered. No, not many (if any) down sides if you do not intend to breed. Hunting drive still remains, less interest in females in heat, prob less chance of cancer (not sure on that), maybe less male to male aggression?? It is a good thing to do.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I personally would never neuter a male unless for some medical reason.I feel that neutering & spaying are both done more for the benefit of the owners then the dogs.There is a lot of info on here for both sides but most agree if you do have either done you should waith untill the dog is both mentally & pysically mateur.Think about it do you think a dog needs those hormones to mature or not,males that are neutered early gorw long bones & little body mass & muscle same with females.I'm sure you will get areguments from both sides but what kind of benefits do you expect other then your convienience?? Read all the info you can get & then make your own decision don't go by my advice make up your own mind.

If I ever had a vet mention spaying or neutering to me I would take my dog & walk straight out of their business FOR GOOD!! It's never happened yet!! :wink:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I wouldn't even consider it unless my dog had some kind of huge life threatening problem. I can't think of any benefit to neutering for the sake of neutering.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I always recommend that neutering be postponed until 18 month - 2 yrs of age (at the earliest).

Removing the hormones that tell the body how/when to mature means they don't mature the way nature intended. You'll find male dogs grow taller than they would have if left intact (the hormones that tell the growth plates to close aren't there to do their job), and emotional maturity may not come as nature intended. Additionally, there are many tests out there that suggest neutering early causes tendons and ligaments to become more brittle, so the chance of an injury in a canine athlete increases.

I know the vets really push to neuter early claiming the dog won't roam, will be calmer, won't be as dominant, won't fight, etc., but all those things can be addressed through training. I have 4 intact girls, 2 intact boys and 1 neutered boy. I don't notice any difference in behavior AND I don't have fights.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm

My vet told me the same thing 4-6 months get him chopped.

He still has his balls. They aren't going anywhere until next winter. At that point I might not even do it. Any proof that it calms male dogs down?

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Karen wrote:I always recommend that neutering be postponed until 18 month - 2 yrs of age (at the earliest).

Removing the hormones that tell the body how/when to mature means they don't mature the way nature intended. You'll find male dogs grow taller than they would have if left intact (the hormones that tell the growth plates to close aren't there to do their job), and emotional maturity may not come as nature intended. Additionally, there are many tests out there that suggest neutering early causes tendons and ligaments to become more brittle, so the chance of an injury in a canine athlete increases.
+1

And welcome to the forum :)
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

wait like said, at least 18 months......

I did have a male dog recently that had a screw loose and it was obviously hormone related... fixing him brought him to a place he could concentrate on being a birddog, instead of trying to hump everything 24/7 and acting a fool. he was 19-20 months. It may have a place for good reason for some dogs but I'd never fix one at 6 months just because.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Every dog I own or have owned (8 now and 6 in the past) have been spayed or neutered. It does not affect their hunting drive and IMO, they pay more attention to hunting birds than to hunting honeys in heat. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have been around both altered and unaltered dogs all my life. I also foster birddogs quite frequently for two rescues and a shelter - so I am biased on the "altering" issue. I prefer a dog that doesn't hump other dogs or people and doesn't go bat "bleep" crazy when a female is in heat. I also really support spaying females as there does seem to be more basis for health related reasons to spay than in males. On the female side of things, I really support spaying - but that is a personal deal as well, everyone makes their own choice. I've had a good friend loose two nice females two years ago - one to pyometra and another to mammary cancer - it was horrible and totally preventable.

IF neutering your male, I agree with other posters on here - wait until the dog is physically mature and then do it. If you choose not to neuter, just be really vigilant to be sure he doesn't breed - since you've stated that's not a dog you would plan to breed.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't know where people get the idea that if you neuter a male he will not hump anything,they can not only hump but breed a bitch & make a tye just can't produce pups!!Same goes with aggresion even heard of dogs that were not agressive but turned agressive after his family jewels disappered.I aslo now if a Bench Ch Dobe that would stand to be bred at anytime her owners used her to teach young stud dogs.I have never had a bitch spayed or a male neutered. My foundation bitch (Ginger) lived to be a couple mos past 15,my Foundation sire (Ace) lived to be 3 mos past 13.I have brother & sister siblings by Ace & Gineger now.Major is 12 1/2 Wendy just 11 in Oct & had 3 litters.
It's your dog do as you please but don't believe all the mumbo jombo out there.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Castrating the dog at a young age will increase the risk of thyroid problems, Cushing's, hemangiosarcoma and joint disorders. There is research behind all of that. Three is also research that shows most dog on dog aggression is initiated by neutered males.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Cajun Casey wrote: Three is also research that shows most dog on dog aggression is initiated by neutered males.
I'd be pissed at the world too if someone did that to me. :lol:

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 am

as you can see we all have views.
most vets rec if you are not going to breed your dog have then fixed.
now there is some vets and studys that say that it does not stop cancer.
even they disagree.
i am on team that says wait a year to do it if you decide.
i seen dogs males still hump after being fixed.
why? because owners did it after 6 months of age ,like year.
dogs dont forget what they used to do. :lol:

i have SM male and not going to nueter him.my lab is nuetered and still humps and still is aggressive.it did nothing to fix those 2 things.

but i waited 1 year or so and toby learned these habits before that .

what i am trying to say is this,IF YOU THINK BY FIXING YOUR DOG IT WILL CURE ALL PROBLEMS YOU HAD, IT WONT...

ptrthgr8

Post by ptrthgr8 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

I'm less inclined to chop his bits off than I was before since I don't see any solid evidence or proof that provides good reason for neutering the pooch. My first two dogs were rescues and were fixed when I got them. My second two (Beagles from a breeder) were fixed because they were brother and sister and I didn't want any weird shenanigans going on. So, really, Remy is the first dog I've had where I've had the opportunity to weigh the pros/cons of neutering in advance and have not really found many items for the "pro" column at all. If we do go through with it we'll certainly wait until he's in that 1 1/2 - 2 year range just so we don't screw up his growth and maturation.

Thanks very much for the input, all. It's greatly appreciated!

~ Greg ~
"It is natural for man to indulge in the illusions of hope and pride. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it." Patrick Henry, 1775

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

The only problem I can find in all my research is your dog wont have the balls to "get it done". :wink: Make sure to wait till the dog has the required levels of testosterone to develop properly though.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

I have a 3 year old lab that still has his boys and has never humped a leg my fox hound mix on the othe hand does not have his and he tries to mount everything. So its really your call it can vary from dog to dog.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am

Caught my spayed GSP humping my other GSP that isnt spayed...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 am

ptrthgr8 wrote:I'm less inclined to chop his bits off than I was before since I don't see any solid evidence or proof that provides good reason for neutering the pooch. My first two dogs were rescues and were fixed when I got them. My second two (Beagles from a breeder) were fixed because they were brother and sister and I didn't want any weird shenanigans going on. So, really, Remy is the first dog I've had where I've had the opportunity to weigh the pros/cons of neutering in advance and have not really found many items for the "pro" column at all. If we do go through with it we'll certainly wait until he's in that 1 1/2 - 2 year range just so we don't screw up his growth and maturation.

Thanks very much for the input, all. It's greatly appreciated!

~ Greg ~
Work on recall early so you have control and can prevent roaming. Instill early on that leaving your yard without you is not ok. Punish for humping right from the get go, if that bothers you. Same with marking. And never let the pup get away with overly rough play or aggression. My pup is an 18month old, intact male and he's done/tried all these, but training has stopped it all....still needs reminders on the marking part though. The point is, it has nothing to do with his balls. Also, on a side note, when my pup was in the middle of his humping is a no-no training, I had a bunch of owners tell me I shouldn't stop my pup from humping their dog because the dogs need to figure it out on their own. Don't listen to them. Your dog isn't living in a wild pack of animals, it's living in your home and it has to be held to certain standards because of that. Personally, my dog doesn't hump. That's my standard. My pup also has zero problems "figuring it out" with other dogs he meets. The way I see it, by the time you'd be neutering the dog, if you wait until he's full grown, he's either going to be doing these things or not. It's up to you to decide what your standards are and enforce them so you end up with the dog you want.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:30 am

Agree with Karen and Casey

The vets do not tell you about what early spay and neuters can do from the thyroid to elongated femur bones which lead to joint issue incontinence both males and females higher percentage of bone cancer, aggression there are other posts which have links to the research that has been done for the sporting breeds.

I also recommend to wait till after the animal is fully mature for reason already explained.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

could spaying a female cause her to be excessively skinny? I always heard it can cause them to be overweight. I had one spayed just after 6months (15months now) and she is really skinny like a rail - can see posterior pelvis bones. She seems healthy though - lots of energy, eats everything, no worms in her stool.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm

The only down side I see is if your dog is your best dog and the best dog you have ever seen.. And you want to breed him with another one to get a bit of your best dog in your new dog you won't be able after he is neutered..

I know cause I regret to have neutered my Britt he is just to good to be true now.. be at 6 months who would have tell it.!!!

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm

magspa, it's the age. Feed her a bit more, and split into 2 meals, if you're not already. That should help add some weight.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Karen wrote:magspa, it's the age. Feed her a bit more, and split into 2 meals, if you're not already. That should help add some weight.
To add to this also try feeding on a large cookie sheet that has a lip all the way around if she is one that inhales her food
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Ok thanks Karen..i just need to be more patient as usual..Guess i ask about this too much but i never thought anything of it until some hunting buddies have been making comments.I feed them twice a day, right now a 30/20. She does practically inhale her food so I will have try the cookie tray. So why would the speed she eats at affect her weight...nutrients absorption? Thanks again

Deets

Post by Deets » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

My English pointer is 3 years old and has not been neutered. He is the laziest most well behaved house dog you will ever meet. I take him to a dog park regularly and he has never shown any aggression toward another dog, or attempted to mount another dog. He has never been restless or chewed on furniture. Personally I don't think neutering affects behavior. I think training and breeding are your main factors.