Skin issue with my 1yo GSP

pett

Skin issue with my 1yo GSP

Post by pett » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 am

I noticed these spots on my GSP snout a few days ago... he doesn't seem to favor it, or scratch it more than other spots. Is this something anyone has seen before? It is a little puffy and the hair seems to be gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Skin issue with my 1yo GSP

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Looks like it may have begun as demodetitis or a contact reaction and developed a fungal infection. Have your vet do a scrape.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

pett

Post by pett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 am

i bought a tube of anti-fungal cream yesterday and began to apply it to the areas on his snout.... but i think i will have to try something else because as soon as i put it on him... he licks it off.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:50 am

A couple years ago, I had a dog that got bumps that look just like those in your photo. Hers started with what looked like hives, and they were all over her muzzle. It started with one on the bridge of her nose and multiplied to probably a dozen. After a few days, they became hairless and somewhat crusty looking. At that point I got worried and took her to the vet. The vet also thought it looked like an allergic reaction. We don't know the cause, but she had gotten her Lepto shot about 16 hours before the first hive showed up, and I had been hunting her that morning. Regardless, he also felt there may be a secondary staph infection going on. So he sent me home with instructions to put her on Benedryl for a couple days. In conjunction with that, he put her on a short burst of Prednisone for a few days. He didn't bother with a scrape, but gave me 2 weeks of Cephalexin antibiotic. It took a while, because I'd let it go too long, but the bumps went down and the hair grew back. She has one teeny tiny scar on her nose, that I'm pretty sure only I see.

I just wanted to let you know, that the cream might not fix things. I don't know what your vet might charge, but if money is a concern, like it is here when I contemplate if we need to go to the vet...I've got the receipt. It was $13 for the office visit, $18 for the exam, $17.70 for Cephalexin tabs, and $6.60 for the Prednisone.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 am

If the condition doesn't get better you might try switching your dog food to a non allergenic that your vet can prescribe. I had a couple of retrievers with severe food allergies. They developed hot spots and lost hair like your dog. Shots and Benedryl only provided temporary relief. Getting them to non chicken, non beef and grain free food was the only thing that worked. Royal Canin has a venison potato dry kibble. Expensive but cheaper than on going problems. Something you might consider trying.