Skinny Pointer AGAIN

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Skinny Pointer AGAIN

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 am

O.K.,

Skinny pointer question again. This is a 3.5 yr old pointer that was adopted from the shelter at a year old. Always been "skinny". But has gotten a bit worse lately (not significantly worse, because she has always been skinny). I had previously looked at blood tests and had two local vets trying to help with her. Finally had to take her to the vet school for an ACL injury and asked them to look at the body condition deal last week.

She scored a 2 of 9 in body condition - emaciated and no real muscle mass (has been on crate rest for about a month related to the ACL deal). So, in short, she really is badly undernourished. The vet school can't come up with any real reason for this (did LOTS of testing) so they're just saying "get her to eat more" and "maybe she's just built this way."

Here's where I need the help. I've tried many different diets including adding satin balls, raw diet with supplement, high calorie puppy foods, bacon grease added to normal adult performance foods, etc. etc. She just doesn't gain much - and now that I'm measuring and really keeping track of her diet, I've noticed that she's not eating as well as she used to. Though she has always been abnormally skinny since day one.

Any suggestions on how to get her to gain weight?

Those who know me on here know that I keep all my dogs on the thin side, they are athletes and they all have ribs showing. This dog is way beyond "late season skinny" as I call it. I welcome any advice. The vet school sent me home with an Iams maximum calorie canned supplement, which I'm now out of.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Skinny Pointer AGAIN

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am

Thawed frozen BilJac topdressed with buttermilk. Might add Prozyme, also.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:50 am

Was she checked for hyperthyroidism? It can result in weight loss/lack of weight gain, and also lack of muscle mass, or muscle wasting.

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 am

you might have tried this already but this worked with my pup so thought i might add. try adding a raw egg in puppy food the added calories from the egg and puppy food might help. How is her activity level? does she run around and acts normal even with the weight loss?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:54 am

shags wrote:Was she checked for hyperthyroidism? It can result in weight loss/lack of weight gain, and also lack of muscle mass, or muscle wasting.
Sounds very much like a thyroid problem to me also. Don't know where else to look that the vets didn't already check out for you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 am

ezzy333 wrote:
shags wrote:Was she checked for hyperthyroidism? It can result in weight loss/lack of weight gain, and also lack of muscle mass, or muscle wasting.
Sounds very much like a thyroid problem to me also. Don't know where else to look that the vets didn't already check out for you.

Ezzy
Thanks guys - they did check her thyroid, pancreas, hormone levels, ruled out cancer and tumors.....really a tough case it seems like. I just hate to put the money into the TPLO or ACL surgery if she's going to starve to death - though she has made it this long!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 am

Agility folks have knee braces they use on their dogs. That might be an effective alternative to surgery. Also, have you considered accupuncture?

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Have you looked at National Dog Foods energy pack supplement?

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Satin Balls worked well for a skinny dog that I had years ago that tended not to eat much at times. Just Google the recipe. I would mix it up and put the mix in half gallon ziploc baggies and feed half a bag in place of a meal for both am and pm feedings. After a day or two, it seemed to stimulate the appetite and the dog would go back to kibble and gobble it up.

I have found that frozen Bil-Jac seemed to work just as well and is convenient since you just buy and thaw the amount you need. Rather than feed large portions of the frozen Bil-Jac, I sometimes just mixed it in with the kibble to stimulate the appetite or most likely the nose.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm

One of my setters has been pretty skinny his whole life. Increasing portions didn't help, because he'd get diarrhea. Because he's otherwise healthy I don't worry about it too much, but sometimes he gets too bony. A couple of slices of bread per day adds some weight without reducing his appetite for his regular meals. He's always had at least moderate exercise despite obviously burning off weight, but it kept his muscle mass nice and kept him hungry.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Give her stale beer.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Has there been any checks on diabetes?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Give her stale beer.
No such thing in this house. :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:50 am

brad27 wrote:
No such thing in this house. :D
X2

Also to add weight on my previously owned pup, I fed the fattest raw hamburger meat (about half a cup) mixed in with regular food and a 1/4 cup of tomato juice. Fed twice a day.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:11 am

I thought this was a myth? This really happens?

Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:20 am

jcbuttry8 wrote:
I thought this was a myth? This really happens?

Joe
B complex, carbs and hops.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Thawed frozen BilJac topdressed with buttermilk. Might add Prozyme, also.
My pup was not as skinny as you're talking, but Casey told me about buttermilk, it took two weeks but he put a nice layer or two on and it wasn't just fat. His muscles grew as well. A couple weeks after his weight gain and he still looks good. I started my dogs on Prozyme also a couple of weeks ago and quit the buttermilk, haven't noticed a difference yet. Buttermilk works for sure and their stools were very good, actually better than they have been with the Prozyme. But, I'm giving Prozyme some time to work, just ordered another lb.

Steve

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am

Do you know if they tested (or if there is a test) for intestinal protein loss? I have heard of another pointer owner who had a dog with this issue but don't know much else about it. Same symptoms though. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Gertie wrote:Do you know if they tested (or if there is a test) for intestinal protein loss? I have heard of another pointer owner who had a dog with this issue but don't know much else about it. Same symptoms though. Might be worth looking into if you haven't already.
Remember protein has little to do with fat or thin. Protein repairs and helps build muscles but it is the carbs and the fats that supply the energy for activities and the dog stores what it doesn't use.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Yes protein is important for the muscle repair but it also has the same amount of calories p/gram (4) as carbohydrates (fat has 9). If the op is feeding high calorie dog food (which tend to be high protein and fat) and the proteins are not being absorbed then there might be a possibility that this condition could be worth looking into if they haven't already. The term for it is called "hypoproteinemia" and one of the major symptoms is persistent weight loss. There's plenty of stuff on the web if you google it (researcher beware!). I'm not a vet. or anything close to it but it just sounded like something that the op might want to look into.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

are the stools normal on this dog??