Is a dollar a pound still a reasonable expectation?

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Is a dollar a pound still a reasonable expectation to pay for feed given the current economic climate?

The current dog food that I feed (Loyall Active Adult) has been increasing in price and I was wondering if that is just an industry increase or more a company specific increase in costs. I live in California, so I don't know if the price increase in dog food is state specific or nationally.

I know that the Costco dog foods are still under $30.00 a bag.

-Hondo

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Is a dollar a pound still a reasonable expectation?

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

It surely is......plenty of decent feeds under a dollar a lb.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I have never fed $1 a pound feed and cant see the reason to. My dogs are athletes and are fed as such, but a $1 a pound is overkill.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

I still pay a little under a dollar a pound for loyall.... And I get coupons from everyone I know.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm

ultracarry wrote:I still pay a little under a dollar a pound for loyall.... And I get coupons from everyone I know.
I used a few coupons that they had in a few magazines.

However, I have never received any coupons from Loyall even after signing up with them on their webpage.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

I am paying $26 for 50 lbs of food & feeding 9 adult dogs on it all doing fine!! I switched from Loyall when it went to over $40 per 50 lbs here in this area.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

I'd say from 70¢ a pound up to $1.25 is a reasonable expectation of cost. Under 50¢ a pound, single bag price, and you may want to question the quality of the product.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:20 pm

On a teachers salary I have to keep my costs below .70/lb. I dropped Loyall when they hit $39.99/40 lbs. I' currently feeding ProPac and its running me .625/lb. Decent feed and fits my budget.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Is it good that I'm paying 47.00 for a 50 lb bag of high performance???

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm

CHJIII wrote:On a teachers salary I have to keep my costs below .70/lb. I dropped Loyall when they hit $39.99/40 lbs. I' currently feeding ProPac and its running me .625/lb. Decent feed and fits my budget.
It isn't so much about cost per pound -- it's about cost per day (big difference)

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Doc E wrote:
CHJIII wrote:On a teachers salary I have to keep my costs below .70/lb. I dropped Loyall when they hit $39.99/40 lbs. I' currently feeding ProPac and its running me .625/lb. Decent feed and fits my budget.
It isn't so much about cost per pound -- it's about cost per day (big difference)

+1. That's why I made that spreadsheet.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 am

Very few feeds actually come in 50lb bags anymore. Our diamond, sportmix, exeed, etc are almost all 40lbs unless you are getting the very low cal 21p/12-13f.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

Is it good that I'm paying 47.00 for a 50 lb bag of high performance???
It's a tremendous thing for the feed store, and dog food company.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I am paying $26 for 50 lbs of food & feeding 9 adult dogs on it all doing fine!! I switched from Loyall when it went to over $40 per 50 lbs here in this area.
I used to pay $20/50lb bag until the trainer was having a hard time getting the supplier to drop ship on time it. I switched to PPP, which is great food but the price tag shocks me. I think I may have purchased my last bag of PPP because even getting it on sale and with the weight circles it is still nearly $1/lb. My trainer is back getting a good supply of his food so I am switching back and it is only $25/50 lb.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:24 pm

You know people can talk all they want about ingredients, quality,etc but at the end of the day if my dogs are doing just as good on this cheap low quality dog food as the high quality food that is 1 1/2 times the cost why would I choose to pay more.I feed about the same amount,actually just a little less of the cheap food as expensive same kind of stools,all being equal I'm way ahead financially & very satisfied with the results.I have owned DOGS not just 1 dog for 40 yrs so I,ve used quite a few different foods & will probably use more in the future,The proof shows in the dogs not what it says on the bag or high price!! :wink:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:...people can talk all they want about ingredients, quality, etc but at the end of the day if my dogs are doing just as good on this cheap low quality dog food as the high quality food that is 1 1/2 times the cost why would I choose to pay more...The proof shows in the dogs not what it says on the bag or high price...
Totally agree. After trying both and getting pounded on price. I am switching back. $25/50lb bag OR $45+/37.5lb bag...hmmm my 4th grade daughter can do that math! :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:31 pm

You guys are coming around to what I have been preaching(that's what some people call it) on here for some time. In actuality there is little difference in the quality in most of the feeds but a tremendous difference in marketing plans. Sadly, it seems to work with many one dog and pet owners and usually those are the very dogs that just don't need the extras. Ted, I am sure you remember when we used to feed 10 to 12% protein feeds and 8 to 10% fat and the dogs did good on them.

I think our feeds have improved but that doesn't mean that all dogs need or even use the added nutrients. You have to be able to read your dog and not the label or the price if you are going to feed your dog properly.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Of late I have been running an experiment. I am spending an extra $20 a month (divide that by 7 dogs for a per dog cost) to feed a grain free food that is 32/18 vs the sportmix that is 24/20. Mind you Grain Free for MY CONVENIENCE not for the dogs but the food is $18 more a bag and less weight. Have not calulated the actual per dog per day estimate. But its less than $4 dollars per dog per month to feed the other food. Also cleanup is easier with better and fewer stool saving me money in simple green and so far about 5-10 minutes a day in sb time AT LEAST.

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Doc E wrote:

Pro Pac HP is around 570 cal/cup. Kinda works out to be less per pound and less per day of feeding. It's a great feed for the price.

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You know people can talk all they want about ingredients, quality,etc but at the end of the day if my dogs are doing just as good on this cheap low quality dog food as the high quality food that is 1 1/2 times the cost why would I choose to pay more.I feed about the same amount,actually just a little less of the cheap food as expensive same kind of stools,all being equal I'm way ahead financially & very satisfied with the results.I have owned DOGS not just 1 dog for 40 yrs so I,ve used quite a few different foods & will probably use more in the future,The proof shows in the dogs not what it says on the bag or high price!! :wink:
While I agree, there is a thing called Opposing Opinions. Without one there would be no discussion. :wink:

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 pm

What is your personal expectation of your dog(s)? We are all humans...breeding, feeding, and training domesticated canines. If the food you're feeding fits your human bill and your personal performance expectations then that is the sum of your own equation. I could not agree more! But, there are some looking to push them further, run harder and longer, recover faster, live longer, proliferate the breed, etc, etc. I believe this where in lies the cultural rift on the feed question.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Angus wrote:
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You know people can talk all they want about ingredients, quality,etc but at the end of the day if my dogs are doing just as good on this cheap low quality dog food as the high quality food that is 1 1/2 times the cost why would I choose to pay more.I feed about the same amount,actually just a little less of the cheap food as expensive same kind of stools,all being equal I'm way ahead financially & very satisfied with the results.I have owned DOGS not just 1 dog for 40 yrs so I,ve used quite a few different foods & will probably use more in the future,The proof shows in the dogs not what it says on the bag or high price!! :wink:
While I agree, there is a thing called Opposing Opinions. Without one there would be no discussion. :wink:
Opinions are something we all have when we don't have results. Once you know the resilt then it becomes a fact. Seems to me Ted has results you can hang your hat on.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Northupland so your telling me you have had dogs live over 15 yrs old,run Hr stakes,hunt all day,very seldom been to the vet acept for emergencies & all your other expectations because you feed more expensive food? How old are you how long you been breeding & raising multiple dogs tell us your experience.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Northupland so your telling me you have had dogs live over 15 yrs old,run Hr stakes,hunt all day,very seldom been to the vet acept for emergencies & all your other expectations because you feed more expensive food? How old are you how long you been breeding & raising multiple dogs tell us your experience.
I think it has more to do with the breeding then the food you feed. :wink: :D

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels, I think you missed my point and jumped to conclusions. I didn't post to judge the value of cheap vs. expensive, good vs. bad. My opinion is that performance is based solely on an individuals expectations. If the feed your dogs are on has met your own overall expectations, then that is exactly the right feed for your dogs. You asked about me personally. For more info; http://www.northupland.blogspot.com/ or http://drtims.com/mark-northup/ Thanks. -Mark

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm

northUpland wrote:Vonzeppelinkennels, I think you missed my point and jumped to conclusions. I didn't post to judge the value of cheap vs. expensive, good vs. bad. My opinion is that performance is based solely on an individuals expectations. If the feed your dogs are on has met your own overall expectations, then that is exactly the right feed for your dogs. You asked about me personally. For more info; http://www.northupland.blogspot.com/ or http://drtims.com/mark-northup/ Thanks. -Mark
Why I feed Dr. Tim’s

“What separates Dr. Tim’s food from the rest of the pack is, at the end of the day, it is reassuring to me to know that an actual vet who knows the real nutritional needs of canine athletes made this food and truly cares.”
I wouyld think you would have more faith in a person with a Doctor's degree in animal nutrition rather than vet medicine. I fed Dr. Tims for a couple of months and it did well but not one bit better than the Diamond Hi Energy which was less tham half the price. This was done after he sent a couple of bags and wanted me to try it. Good feed but no better results than other good feeds at a more reasonable price.

I will not go to a nutritionist for vet care or a vet for nutrition care.

Ezzy

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Wow I am a little jealous you guys are able to find food so cheap.

I am feeding a food right now that is $68.00/30lbs.

Actually now that I think about this has gone up again since my last bag so I will be dropping it and looking for a substitute.

Perhaps Horizon as he did well on it before I switched.

I dont mind paying a little extra for time saved on clean up duty but man dog food is getting expensive.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Angus wrote:
Opinions are something we all have when we don't have results. Once you know the resilt then it becomes a fact. Seems to me Ted has results you can hang your hat on.

Ezzy
You're right some of the time. Other times a Fact is when your opinion agrees with someone else s. I wasn't disputing what he said or any results. If we all agreed on everything there would be no cause for discussion.

So when my opinions become facts and they differ from your facts, who's right?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 am

RyanGSP wrote:Wow I am a little jealous you guys are able to find food so cheap.

Actually now that I think about this has gone up again since my last bag so I will be dropping it and looking for a substitute.

I dont mind paying a little extra for time saved on clean up duty but man dog food is getting expensive.
Are you feeding EVO?

Cooporilla

Post by Cooporilla » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 am

Any feeds from Petsmart that you guys could recommend? I received a sizable gift card there so that's why I'm shopping there.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 am

Northupland I have owned dogs for 40 yrs,multiple dogs I own 9 adult dogs now,I have fed all the major brands untill their prices go haywire & have always been able to find reasonable priced foods that my dogs do just as well on.I believe it's the demand more then anything else that drive the prices up & as long as people are willing to pay those ridiculous prices it will continue.I could care less what others feed aslong as I can feed my dogs for a reasonable price & they do well on it.My dogs performance or health don't suffer one little bit & I think my vet will tell you how well my dogs are taken care of even though he don't see them all that much!! :D

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am

Just so you know I work with several board certified nutrtionists to help in balancing out our formulas. Working in the sporting circles for 20 years has helped a lot with finding what works best to optimize performance but the nutrtionists are still needed to do the fine tuning and to bounce ideas off of. Performance diets are a different beast than other types of dog food.

I have only seen one nutritionist ever out racing dogs in all the years so far.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

ultracarry wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:Wow I am a little jealous you guys are able to find food so cheap.

Are you feeding EVO?

Blue Buffalo. He cant handle the protien levels holistics have.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 pm

I will not go to a nutritionist for vet care or a vet for nutrition care.

Ezzy[/quote]

Ezzy,I was told you worked for Diamond. Is that true?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:07 pm

northUpland wrote:
Ezzy wrote:I will not go to a nutritionist for vet care or a vet for nutrition care.

Ezzy
Ezzy,I was told you worked for Diamond. Is that true?
Nope, I never have had any dealings other than feeding feed from there for the past few years. But then, I have fed a lot of different feeds over the past fifty years.

Ezzy

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:57 am

I fed a food that was $26/40lbs. and my dogs did well. Because of a coupon I have been feeding PPP for the last couple months and honestly I can't justify the extra cost over the $26 food. I just bought a new brand that is made by Fromm and costs $32.95/40lbs. It's lower in protein and fat than what I had been feeding so I am waiting until my hunting season basically ends before I try it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Grange wrote:I fed a food that was $26/40lbs. and my dogs did well. Because of a coupon I have been feeding PPP for the last couple months and honestly I can't justify the extra cost over the $26 food. I just bought a new brand that is made by Fromm and costs $32.95/40lbs. It's lower in protein and fat than what I had been feeding so I am waiting until my hunting season basically ends before I try it.
Gold? I'd like to know your results. Rep has been pushing me to pick it up.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Grange wrote:I fed a food that was $26/40lbs. and my dogs did well. Because of a coupon I have been feeding PPP for the last couple months and honestly I can't justify the extra cost over the $26 food. I just bought a new brand that is made by Fromm and costs $32.95/40lbs. It's lower in protein and fat than what I had been feeding so I am waiting until my hunting season basically ends before I try it.
Gold? I'd like to know your results. Rep has been pushing me to pick it up.
The brand is called American Natural Premium, which is made by Fromm. I was planning on starting it around the new year.