Quick Heat Question

dreamerofdreams

Quick Heat Question

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi all

My 9 month old Britt just came into heat. Usually her outside time is in our large back yard with a six foot privacy fence. She doesn't usually run free, usually on a long tie-out due to the chickens not liking it when she steals their food. She can't get within five feet of the fence on the tie out. She's never outside when I'm not right inside - she's crated during the day when I'm at work. Is this still okay or do I need to be keeping a closer eye on her?

sdsujacks

Re: Quick Heat Question

Post by sdsujacks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 pm

dreamerofdreams wrote:Is this still okay or do I need to be keeping a closer eye on her?
Depends if there are other dogs around in the area or neighborhood that would be able to escape their confines and get to her or not.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 pm

They will go to great ends to get to one another but it sounds like you are in pretty good shape. As long as they cannot get in, she cannot get out and they cannot get to one another through the fence. Disclaimer: I have heard horror stories though of digging under, chewing through and climbing over so keep in mind anything is possible. If it is me, I keep her in except to relieve herself during day 8-15 if you are not 100% confident.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Mine is on lockdown during her season. Especially during danger week. No free running. It only takes a minute of not watching for a tie to happen. Can you guarantee another dog isn't going to jump that fence?