Allergic to GSP???

Dieseldog8

Allergic to GSP???

Post by Dieseldog8 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Is anyone else allergic to their GSP? At first I thought it was me when he would brush up against me I would break out in whelps then wash it with soap and would go away. But then my girlfriend was allergic to him also and her family has had gsp's for awhile and never been allergic my sister is also allergic to him and one other friend that I have we all break out in little itchy whelps. He gets bathed frequently and goes everywhere my lab goes and never had this reaction with my lab just with the GSP? Am I crazy or has other people had this happen? And I've been tested recently for allergies and dog allergens didn't appear?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Allergic to GSP???

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Is it possible a flea tick topical especially some or the "herbal" products... or shampoo or * shudder* sarcoptic mange....
I am not allergic to dogs in general but AM allergic to chows and shar-pei

Dieseldog8

Post by Dieseldog8 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 pm

See I thought that also but I use the same tick treatment for the GSP and the lab also the same shampoos I mean everything they do and use is identical that's what is stumping me and I thought I might just be allergic to this dog but when 5 other people are having the same reactions the the one dog kind of strange? I have discussed it with my vet and they have no idea either.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Have you noticed that the hair on his/her head doesn't cause the breakout? Ever been pricked by a pine needle? I'm pretty sure it's not an allergy to skin products like many animal allergies, but a reaction to being pricked by those rigid hairs from the neck to the tail. Normally it is only the sensitive areas of skin that break out, and it hardly ever causes the usual sinus drainage, sneeze, runny eyes/nose. Anyone notice this with their dogs, especially other breeds?

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Jrclmn18 wrote:Have you noticed that the hair on his/her head doesn't cause the breakout? Ever been pricked by a pine needle? I'm pretty sure it's not an allergy to skin products like many animal allergies, but a reaction to being pricked by those rigid hairs from the neck to the tail. Normally it is only the sensitive areas of skin that break out, and it hardly ever causes the usual sinus drainage, sneeze, runny eyes/nose. Anyone notice this with their dogs, especially other breeds?
Yes. I have two with more "wirey" coats than the third. Those two make me itch like crazy when we are done rough housing. The third doesn't bother me a bit but her coat is much softer. It goes away quick so no harm, no fowl.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.