Aflatoxin

MonsterDad

Aflatoxin

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

My understanding is that a hot growing season like last year raises aflatoxin risk in corn. Is anyone concerned that this may be an issue with foods being produced now?

I realize testing is done, but when there is a problem it tends to be widespread and this is very serious.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Aflatoxin

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 pm

The warnings went out to the industry several months ago. I know the whole kernel corn we are getting in is marginal quality for fines, but haven't had any complaints of mold, smell or illness.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 pm

You can't see or smell aflatoxin. It is found in the kernel and not on it. The quick test is to use a black-light as it will glow. To be absolutely sure it takes a lab test that takes a day or two. The usual cause is when the stalk dries before the corn there is no way for the moisture to get out of the corn and we end up with aflatoxin. It doesn't bother many animals but dogs and horses are. Been around for many years but normally is not a big problem in the mid-west. I am sure everyone is aware and checking as they receive corn into their plants but it is hard to find sometimes as the only way to get a sample is to probe each load as they come in and if you happen to miss any effected corn with the probe it could be missed. However, that in itself probably means the level if it is even there, would be so small it wouldn't effect our dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

steamer

Post by steamer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

i read something about this a few months age. it was an artical in one of the farm publications. it said they were more concerned about the corn waste from ethanol refineries being used as feed. it didnt really say but i wondered if it was because they didnt test the corn for aflatoxin as it doesnt effect the ethanol making process.