wound on neck

magspa

wound on neck

Post by magspa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 pm

my one GSP has a circular wound on her neck about the size of a dime..it does have discharge. She has had irritations to that area before, but i assumed they were from collars, branches, etc.. but now im wondering if this has been lingering. It is a round abscess/boil with pus. I may just be paranoid cause i work in the medical field but how common is canine mrsa? ..thanks

Ghosted3

Re: wound on neck

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm

I do not know about canine mrsa, but if she has an abscess that has discharge, I would consult a vet.

Corry

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Dogs do carry MRSA, but don't seem to be affected the way humans are. MRSA is very commonly transmitted to humans from horses. Sounds like oral and topical antibiotics are in order and a culture by your vet, perhaps.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

don't dilly dally, off to the Vet. all you'll get on a forum board is supposition.

now my 2c; had something similar on one of my previous dogs, knew it was a piece of wood from a hunting injury. tried everything, after app. 12mths of mucking about with poultices & minor surgery, had to have major surgery (2hrs 30min) .

..........tasi
i'm from under down under

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:30 pm

What does your Vet say :?:

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 am

MRSA is most common in dogs who live with humans in the medical field or so it seemed to us at the clinic but dogs do have better resistance usually. Still it's worrisome enough that I'd culture it if it didn't respond to antibiotics standard issue. Also could be fungal but less likely with the drainage. Have you tried chlorohex scrub?
If it is in the ecollar location your dog might also be sensitive to the metal on the contacts. Usually that show up with 2 circles though.

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 pm

I spoke with a vet and she said to clean it and apply Animax ointment (nystatin-neomycin sulfate-thiostrepton-triamcinolone-acetonide). Im thinking it is my ault for leaving ecollar on too long when it was already slightly irritated.