freindly advice

dog dr

freindly advice

Post by dog dr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Guys, (and gals),
please, please dont let your young dogs ride in the back of the pick-up unless they are securely tethered (or in a carrier!)! In the last few months I have seen more than a few injuries where the dog jumped out of the moving truck. these always present the SAME way, with a fracture at, on, or thru the distal growth plate of the femur. Not only are these very difficult to fix, but any damage to a growth plate can permanently distort or end the growth of the bone. You can imagine the consequences of a bone that doesnt grow or is growing incorrectly to a dogs athletic career. I was guilty of letting my dog ride in the back of the truck when I was younger, too. I was lucky. So please at least leash them so they cant jump out and short enough they dont hang themselves over the side!! :) :) :) hope everybody has a great season.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:17 am

In the past year, I've seen:

1. A dog lose and eye by getting hit in the eye by a piece of gravel while sticking its head out of the car in the wind.

2. A dog seriously injured and perhaps not surviving when it was run over by a car after climbing over the partially rolled-down rear window of a SUV.

Keep 'em safe,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:37 am

I am glad you posted this. I had a guy show up here with a young gsp to work with him loose in the truck bed, FROM AK! I told him when he came back to get him to have a crate or he would not get his dog back. This drives me crazy, I want to go lecture someone if I see this, but bite my tongue.
brenda

Blade

Post by Blade » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:09 pm

I see this way too often when in town. People driving around with one or two dogs running all around the truck box. I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see this. That's why I put a topper on my truck.