Do you switch dog food?

Double Shot Banks

Do you switch dog food?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Hello,
I was just wondering if any of you change what you feed your dog during hunting season? I am feeding iams big breed dog food mixed with some of my dads old dog food since his dog passed, but normally feed iams, banks is 5.5 months old, and he will be training and hunting this fall, duck, goose and pheasant.
I was thinking of feeding him Eukanuba since it looks like quality stuff when he gets older, although i saw they have performance hunting dog food with 30% protein and 20% fat, is this good all year round or should i switch when he will be working?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Brooks Carmichael

Re: Do you switch dog food?

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:22 pm

I stick with the same dog food year around. I use a 30% protein 20% fat year around and increase or decrease as needed. The dogs seem to do much better that way.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Brooks Carmichael wrote:I stick with the same dog food year around. I use a 30% protein 20% fat year around and increase or decrease as needed. The dogs seem to do much better that way.
so (once dog is older) if i gave 5 cups or so during season and meybe 3.5-4 off season?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

You are better off to find a food that your dog likes and does well on and stick with it. The dog does not need the extra problem of trying to adjust to a new feed on top of being worked harder than he had been.

Al
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:You are better off to find a food that your dog likes and does well on and stick with it. The dog does not need the extra problem of trying to adjust to a new feed on top of being worked harder than he had been.

Al
Yep.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Back

Post by Back » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm

ezzy333 wrote:You are better off to find a food that your dog likes and does well on and stick with it. The dog does not need the extra problem of trying to adjust to a new feed on top of being worked harder than he had been.

Al
+1