Good 30/20 dog food?

Double Shot Banks

Re: Good 30/20 dog food?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Just tonight i decided to go with diamond puppy food 31/20, when he is 1year i might switch to another brand but i wont know yet,
Thanks for all the imput
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
magspa wrote:so is the conclusion that canines perform better on a corn/grain based diet rather than animal protein? I'm no veterinarian but that doesnt really make sense to me.
There are no corn-based 30/20's or 26/16's for that matter. It is impossible. Corn is about 8% protein. If the whole bag was corn, then, the most the GA protein could be is 8%. Right?

Most 30/20's without corn gluten will get about 90% of protein from meat sources.

When it comes to corn, it has to be ground and cooked properly or else its a pretty horrible ingredient. Fine grinding helps a lot even if the cooking is marginal, but the greatest benefit comes from seperate or slow-cooking the corn.

That is why I have found the foods, any of them, made by Ohio Pet Foods, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet, Regal, Blackwood, Dave's, etc to be better foods. Bil Jac I have found to be excellent because the corn is cooked seperately and then pelleted with the meat ingredients. Bil Jac is not a kibble. Some of the nicest coats I have ever seen were on Bil Jac fed dogs. If you spend money on Pro Plan or Eukanuba, then Tim's, Annamaet, Bil-Jac are all in the ball park.

Whether all this is a distinction without a difference is certainly possible. I am not trying to spend other people's money.

Just saying, different companies put more time, money and effort into production and ingredient standards than others. Its up to the individual to decide whats best.

For most of us, if a dog can't run around and hunt for 3-4 hours a day, something else must be wrong. Dr. Tim's Momentum certainly does dominate the racing scene now, for sure, but I am not sure if any dog on here really needs that kind of juice.

My uncle's dogs ate Wayne Doggy O's that oil company delivered and they did ok, not that I would use that but just saying.
Proplan performance is one of those 30/20 foods that I wouldn't consider animal protein based with corn gluten listed as the 2nd ingredient after chicken, The first animal meal is listed 5th. Expensive for what your getting IMO. http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/spo ... 0-formula/

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:I know it could be an overkill, but i dont really want to keep trying different foods to see what is best for him and me, He is only a hunting dog, no tests or trials but i want him to be the best he can.
Isaac and Banks.
Although i like how he looks now, on a mix of Iams and some my dad had left over, nearly the same GA
No such thing as ONLY a hunting dog. :wink:
If you do use a 30/20 keep an eye on the dog's weight. If getting heavy don't change foods;cut back on the amount.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett