Deer ticks!

steingre

Deer ticks!

Post by steingre » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Went out to feed the "boys" this morning, and as I was running my hands down along the sides of my 4 mo old GSP, he felt really "bumpy". Further inspection revealed a complete "infestation" of deer ticks, all about the size of a pin-head! I rubbed, and scratched, and pulled off as many as I could, and then gave him a medicated bath. He was still full of them, so off to the vet to see what they could do. He had had two monthly treatments of Advantage, but was nearing the end of the second month.

The vet looked him over, and offered another medicated bath. Just picked him back up, and most of the little devils appear to be gone- still has some around his eyes, which I'll have to carefully remove!

I took the pup for a walk in the woods on Saturday, and also replaced his bedding with grass hay. Just wondering which of these two events are the most likely source of infestation? One of the vets swear it has to be the hay; too many of the little buggers to be picked up on a walk. The other vet learns toward the walk in the woods. The other three dogs got the same hay, but no sign of the ticks on them. I'm leaning toward it being in the hay; I walked in the same woods as the little guy, and didn't pick up a single tick!

I did clean out and replace the hay with wood shavings in all the houses. Also, got Frontline for all four- my vet says it is much more effective than Advantage. The $4 bale of hay is rapidly approaching $150....!!!

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 pm

Did you get frontline-plus? I get alot of ticks with my dogs, only their stagging around on my dogs and end up dead in a day or two. Also I've never had any after affects like I've heard some others do. Never had ticks in hay only wooded areas.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

pear

Post by pear » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Sprinkle bedding hay or wood chips with Sevin Dust (found in the garden departments of most stores) safe for the dog yet kills the non-lunged critters, such as fleas and ticks. You can even lightly sprinkle your dog and rub it in. Ever hear of flea powder? Nothing but "Sevin"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:13 pm

If they are that bad in your area I would be spraying him down with Adams before I take him out to stop them from ever attaching your dog.

Mav.....

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:17 pm

Pear that sevin dust works well in the pigeon loft too.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:34 pm

lots of good advice here. i would bet the ticks came from the walk in the woods. a dog will get into more deep, tick havens than we will on a walk. I have been in a few grown over fencerows in the summer time fixing fence and come out covered in them, but dont pick up any walking from the truck or house to the fence. you might also consider the Frontline spray product. I used to use it when my dogs got infested. just lightly mist the hair and the ticks would be dead within hours.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:30 pm

You will never know. But a good rule of thumb is that you will find wood ticks not in the woods, but in the grass, especially in the spring. You will find deer ticks not in the grass, but in the woods, in the fall.