Please Help!?! I don't know what to do...

petrey10

Please Help!?! I don't know what to do...

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 am

I have a 7-8yr old EP male named Wrigley. This dog has been with me for about 6.5-7 years now and we have been best buds every since I got him. When I lost my dad this dog was there to help me through it.... whenever I wanted to go pheasant hunting this dog was ready and willing... when I got married this dog was there and turned my wife into a Wrigley dog lover... when we built our first home this dog was there and has the best house manners of any dog I have ever owned. Well up until the last 10 days.... he has totally changed. He paces the house and will not lay down. He will now listen to his commands whether its sit, down, stay, FETCH, anything.... out the window. O and house manners? He has urinated in the basement twice and upstairs twice. When I finally get him to lay down on his dog bed by the nice cozy fire he just sits there and whines. When I tell him to lay down he just quivers acting like I am going to beat him and trust me I treat this dog better than I do my wife sometimes.

I took him to the Vet and he confirmed for me that physically there is nothing wrong with him, nothing broken, not limping, blood work checked out 100% normal. But what he did say is the dog is having major separation anxiety. He won't run around to exercise and won't even fetch his beloved tennis ball (seriously this dog could have done that all day before in 100 degree heat). The Vet put him on a sedative and anti-anxiety medicine about 4 days ago and all its done is calm him down.... hasn't stopped the pacing... hasn't stopped the stubborness... hasn't stopped the bad house manners.... hasn't cheered him up. He stills tries to rip apart his kennel and still won't fetch a tennis ball.

I am running out of options and my wife is getting fed up with it. I don't have much time before she requires him gone but I don't want to lose such a great bird dog. I have shot probably 150-200 pheasants over this dog and in Central IL that is almost unheard of.

Just looking for some help here guys...

Allin13

Re: Please Help!?! I don't know what to do...

Post by Allin13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 am

Any dogs around in heat?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:04 am

Where to start.
The above question is my first question. After that...
I'd start by really sitting down and listing out everything that has changed recently. Try to recall the first things that you noticed as change, how long ago,and everything abnormal since then. List out as much as you can about the dog's behavior that has changed and when. Then think back and see if there is anything environmental that has changed. Anything. Food, meds, family life, is your wife pregnant, or anyone in the family sick or highly stressed? Do not just say no, think it through thing by thing if you can.

I would not at all rule out health. It very much sounds like a health issue perhaps hormonal or metabolic. Is you dog nuetered? Did they run thyroid panels? Did they run tick titers? If I saw a serious behavior change fairly suddenly, and the basic health looked good, I'd dig deeper. But you can narrow what to look for by really being attetive to as komany changes as possible. Is you dog drinking more or less water than normal? Is the urine dark or dilute? How is he eating? Is he walking with a hunched appearance ... does he seem resistant to jump, or sit, or lie down or any other thing that could indicate pain. Did they do radiographs? Did they check prostate? So many questions... keep thinking and looking.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am

Is he neutered? Prostate pain can be rough on a dog if it is inflamed, for instance.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 am

Get a different vet.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45 am

Haven't read all your posts but to your first question on dogs in heat? NO... The closest neighbor we have is about 1 mile away and they have toy dogs inside. Also my boy Wrigley has been snipped (not by me... previous owner)

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 am

Things that have changed...

We were on a short 4night vacation MLK weekend and when we returned he was fine just excited to see us. He would lay down and minded like usual. I have been building him a new 4'x8' inside kennel in my garage and will soon have a run of 10'x20' when it warms up some. This kennel has a raised portion where he can jump up and sleep off the floor on a dog bed. Full food and Water are available to him as much as he wants. This kennel was made to one allow him more room than his extra large wire kennel. Every kennel he has ever been in he has tried to escape from jumping over the 6' kennel fence (flat footed! Dogs an athlete) or pull the chain link enough to where he walk through it to chewing thru a 2x12board at the base. This new kennel finally was bullet proof and he LOVED it the previous month he lived in it before we left. When he came back he hated it for some reason. Wrigley didn't get shipped to some big kennel while we were away he got to stay at my mom house and live it up because there he gets attention all day (she is retired) and sleep on the couch and bed with her (not allowed at our house.... he has a big $100 dog bed of his own that he loved to lay on with the fireplace on previously).

Eating normally? Yes I give him Diamond Premium Dog Food... it keeps his farting to a minimum and he loves it and doesn't get fat on it.... he stays VERY lean... with the recent change he seems to have lost a couple pounds in my eyes but the vet says he is good weight wise

Drinking normally? yes again he always has water at his disposal.

When did he really start the change? about 10 days ago... came home from work and he just kept pacing and pacing around the house and I kept telling him to laydown on his bed and he wouldn't go near it. Wouldn't listen to any command.... NO FETCHING! Seriously this concerns me the most. This dog LOVES the tennis ball... seriously loves it he would play fetch until your arm fell off... NOW? If I pick up the tennis ball outside to throw it he runs with his tail between his legs to the front door. This is not my dog...

I have thought about shooting some doves or something in my yard to see if he still has a desire to hunt/retrieve birds but I am scared that a gun shot will send him even farther over the edge.

Would a aneurism or small stroke show up in a blood test?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am

I second or third the vet issue. This really sounds like a health issue. Sounds like he's in pain.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 am

RoostersMom wrote:I second or third the vet issue. This really sounds like a health issue. Sounds like he's in pain.
Could he be going deaf? I had a Cocker that as she aged she began to lose her hearing and she actied a lot like what you are describing. It took us a while to figure out what was going on with her. It made her pretty scared and very timid as she was trying to cope with it and figure out what was going on herself. I've seen many as well if their eyesight worsens as they get older they get nervous like that as well.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Teeth.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm

i actually don't think its my vet's problem... i have only had him there one day and I actually told the vet myself "I don't think he is in pain somewhere because I have tried to poke and prod him in every area I can think of"

Now I haven't checked his prostate or anything like that...

Wrigley does have a broken canine from pulling on the wire fencing but again I poke and prod it and he never whines in pain. Sure he doesn't like me messing around in his mouth but a hurt tooth you would think would induce a whine or something. This is the same dog that would limp on his paw and whine around if I accidentally stepped on it. I would just come over to him and rub the paw and ask him if he is ready to go and BAM just like a little kid he was off playing/running again.

He very easily could be going deaf but I know he can hear me because the other day I had him out running the yard(trying to at least...not as much as he used to) while I was burning trash and he went out about 1/4 in a field to dig around and play. Well I yelled at him to get back here in the yard and he stopped everything he was doing and just stood there and stared at me for about 30 seconds and then I started towards the house and he came running then. So I am guessing his hearing and sight is fine.

His eyes look good... same as always.... pupils dilate normally

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Would blood test show hormonal issues?

He is definitely reluctant to lay down... he just wants to pace the house all the time... and i can't let him do that because one its annoying and two he has urinated in the house 4 times recently for NO REASON... this dog used to go and sit by the door and whine until he needed to go outside. His house manners were AWESOME!!!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Could be teeth but the pacing, shaking and the fact that it's eating kibble has me thinking this is internal. Any vomit or violent diarrhea.?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm

With urination issues and age, I would definitiely rule out a prostate issue.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Could be teeth but the pacing, shaking and the fact that it's eating kibble has me thinking this is internal. Any vomit or violent diarrhea.?

No the stool is fine... Vet actually checked that because within 30 seconds of getting into the office he took a dump right on their floor mat.... my dog doesn't do this... idk what to do....

only thing he has done once or twice the past week is cough, almost gag... nothing comes up... i just thought it was a "hair ball"

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm

wems2371 wrote:With urination issues and age, I would definitiely rule out a prostate issue.

I will definitely watch him urinate this evening when I get home from work to check for color... If I remember correctly the floor stain this morning was slightly yellow but nothing abnormal IMO.... i know im not a vet but I know my dog pretty well...... this is killing me

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Blockage? Talk to mom and see if he got into something. Sounds like he's trying to pass it

dreamrr

Post by dreamrr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:44 pm

This reminds me of my situation with my Boxer.

My Boxer suddenly changed from an energy filled dog to a sad dog that just lays down all the time and look depressed. She even seemed hurt for a while. She would not even jump on the bed anymore. I took her to the vet and they did all sorts of tests, blood work, Xrays, etc. and everything came back normal. My wife and I had twins back when this all started happening, and I truely think that was the change that changed her. She still seems a little depressed and does not have the energy she used to....and this is two years later.

Have you started to spend less time with the dog? You said you used to be best buds. Maybe he is acting out because he is used to spending every minute with you. The dog will have to get used to the change. Just try to give the dog the attention you can, but he will have to get used to the changes in your life. It just takes time.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 pm

vet mention anything about canine dementia?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:43 pm

dog dr wrote:vet mention anything about canine dementia?
THANK YOU! Age related cognitive disorders are frequently overlooked as "behavioral" when they are physical in origin.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:31 am

I have a check up scheduled and I will address the possibilities you guys mentioned such as Prostate, Dymentia, Thyroid, and the broken tooth again but I don't think that is it personally.

I don't think its a blockage because he continues to do both 1 & 2 easily .... the urination last night seemed normal color NOT really yellow but not super clear either. Just a slight tint of yellow.

As for a change in the amount of time I have with Wrigley? Nope everything is just like usual. He spends from 730am to 5pm in his kennel (lofted dog bed with full food and water on concrete floor inside a garage size is around 4'x8' outside run of 10'x20' is blocked off till concrete is poured). I get home a little before 5 every day during the week and I let him out first thing to do his business if he hadn't already and let him run around as much as he wants until he runs to the front door of the house. Now what I will say is lately with this change he has greatly shortened his time running outside for some reason and goes to the front door much quicker than usual. From 5pm to 730am the next morning Wrigley is in the house with me or my wife. And no my wife is not pregnant at this time. Usually Wrigley would get done with his running/playing and come inside sniff around for a few minutes and go lay on his dog bed inside by the fire and pretty much chill the rest of the night. He has a rope that we play with inside and recently won't have much to do with it. He also loves towels for some reason and he even won't play with the towels.

Yesterday when I got home from work I got brave and brought out the 20ga bc there were some doves in the yard (yes i know out of season but im desperate here)... well when he saw the gun outside his eyes perked up and he knew it was hunting time... ran alright watched me swing and wasn't shy at all. Sure enough I shot a dove out of the tree and he was hesitant to pick the bird up but he eventually did bring it to me but again not with his usual enthusiasm so I praised him big time like it was his first retrieve and I tried to throw the bird and have him play fetch with it but he wouldn't. So I walked our hedge row and let him run thinking he was hunting then when he wasn't looking I would toss the bird in the hedge and call him to go the dead bird. Sure enough he would find it and bring it to me....hesitantly tho... the hesitation could be the meds but i just have the feeling that its not. I could be wrong. I don't know what to think. He still loves to hunt so it calmed my fears of that.

Talked with mom about Wrigley about when he stayed there and she said the first day or two he was laying with her on the couch just being normal Wrigley but she said the last day he wanted to go outside an awful lot BUT the weather that day was really nice and she just thought he wanted to be outside some. She said she watched him pee each time he went out so she just shrugged it off. She said he didn't get into anything that she knew of... maybe a little cat food she said but then she elevated the cats dishes off the ground so he wouldn't touch them.Wrigley isn't around cats at my place very often unless its a stray.

This morning I made it a point to let him out more before I left for work and go for a walk to see what he does.... he doesn't range as far as he used to on our walks. Still sniffs around and never limps but just not the energy he used to have (again could just be the meds). Took the truck for a ride too this morning and he still loves to ride in the back nothing unusual.

Thanks for your help guys

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 am

o and dog dr... I-L-L!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am

prostate, cataracts , hearing, stroke

I had two dogs change their behaviour largely. Turned out one had cataracts that I had missed ( 5 years old ) - was anxious as he couldn't see. One had had a suspected stroke - started getting lost inthe field and not obeying commands- 10 years old.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am

He is giving alot of signs of pain. I know we always expect dogs to whine or cry out, but tough dogs often do not. They will become more tense or perhaps looks down or away, with ears out and back as is worried, but may or may not yelp.
I would think an ultrasound or radiographs might be in order. Increased urination is a big flag. Can you tell if he is drinking more water than usual. Providing water at all time is good, but HOW MUCH is he drinking compared to before the issues started. Either way though back to the vet. Look further. Hope you get it solved.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 pm

appreciate the help guys... yes he does leave his head down a lot more... kinda haunches over more when walking... not the flat back and bounce in his step... ears out for sure too... when I pick up his favorite tennis ball to chuck it he practically runs away like I beat him with it. Trust me I don't beat my dog.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm

I N I !! After reading this again, I also wonder if he is painful. Try him on a good NSAID from ur vet and see if that helps.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:57 am

ok guys been talking back and forth with my vet again.... we are now getting the help from a vet in chicago that focuses on mental/behavioral aspects. Going to go a little stronger on the anxiety medicine (going to Prozac). Physically everything checks out... one thing I have noticed in the last day is decreased appetite and when I put him in front of his dish he just stands there. So I pick up a handful of food and he gobbles in down. Then is grabs a couple bites more from the dish and walks away. I can then bring him back to the dish and do the same thing over again. I did it at least 4 times last night. Is this a sign of him "forgetting" or dementia? I haven't spoke with the vet about this yet because it was late when I found this out.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37 pm

That right there sounds like his neck hurts.

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I think you need to get the dog to see some specialists. I know you think it is behavioral, but a lot of smart dudes (including a vet) here are saying it looks a lot like pain. How hard is it to get the dog over to the U of Illinois vet school (http://vetmed.illinois.edu/vth/). They got the whole kit and kaboodle of specialists (including behaviorists) there to help nail it down.

RickB

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm

petrey10, Have you had a CAT scan or MRI to rule out a possible brain tumor? It's seems like you've ruled out a ton of other possibilities but those symptoms shout out a possible cognative issue, brain tumor, or unseen head trauma. Best of luck partner. My prayers are with you guys.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 pm

petrey10, Any word on recent things with Wrigley? I'm very curious to hear. My wife did bring up another possiblity... if you and your vet continue to rule things out. Have you discussed spinal cord infections either bacterial or viral?...and fyi...my wife is a lot smarter than I am. I am not saying it's any of these but it seems like you had exhausted options so we're just trying to help. Again, you guys are in our prayers. I hope for a simpler explination and Wrigley get's back to being himself. Best of luck partner. -Mark

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 am

northUpland wrote:petrey10, Any word on recent things with Wrigley? I'm very curious to hear. My wife did bring up another possiblity... if you and your vet continue to rule things out. Have you discussed spinal cord infections either bacterial or viral?...and fyi...my wife is a lot smarter than I am. I am not saying it's any of these but it seems like you had exhausted options so we're just trying to help. Again, you guys are in our prayers. I hope for a simpler explination and Wrigley get's back to being himself. Best of luck partner. -Mark
A friend's drahthaar had meningitis, and some of what's described by the OP, reminds me of that. Not wanting to play like normal, posture, gait, etc. It's something I'd check into anyway.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

been talking with the vet about every day... went to the vet another time...

nothing new is found... prostate checked good... tooth checked good... waiting to hear back from a behavioral specialist

He was on Ace promamine (spelling?) for anxiety... it was not cutting it.... he has been started on Prozac, been on it for at least 2 days now... hard to tell if its cutting it.

He had to be changed to stronger anxiety medicine due to the fact he was still freaking out in his kennel... bent a hole in the chain link big enough to jump thru... paws are so sore from trying to dig out (concrete floor) that they are now sore. Last night was rough.... woke up this morning and asked him if he wanted to potty or go outside and he just sat there so I left him went and took a shower and BAM peed on the hard wood........

Next scheduled checkup is 7:15am Monday morning... hopefully allow him to be on the Prozac for a few days to get in his system and the soreness to subside so we can recheck everything..... if we get nothing I will be scheduling a visit to University of Illinois....

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am

also monday we will be checking for tumor.... he has a "fatty tumor" about the size of a half dollar on his chest but was told that its just a fatty tumor and isn't big deal... he had 2 removed about 18months agos... its not big and my wife couldn't even find it but I could see it because I knew what the last ones looked like.

Honestly guys I am hoping its a tumor because it will at least explain whats been going on. I just fear its all mental/emotional and there isn't anything we can do.

Raised his dishes up off the ground about 8'' so he doesn't have to bend down as much.... really helped him eat his food but i attribute this to him being sore from freaking out in his kennel all day on the ACE P..... He does seem calmer emotionally on the Prozac but again we got to get this soreness out of him because we will really see any real benefits

Tried different kennels... such as plastic Xlarge carrier crate- same deal freak out.... tried his old wire kennel crate (size for big lab or great dane) same deal .... tried just letting him roam the garage-same deal freak out.....

kpwlee

Post by kpwlee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

wow your poor dog and poor you!

I do agree with the pain assessment - Have you tried tramadol which is solely for pain?
The other thing that kept running through my head was fear. I wonder if something happened that day that has made him fearful.
Something banging on the house or happening in the house that freaked him out?
The dementia would make more sense if you said it was a slow progression, you seem to be saying it happened very quickly

I do with you luck and hope that you can get an answer so that you can fix it for him.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 pm

update....

the prozac has greatly reduced wrigley's anxiety... still acting very unusual but he is at least tolerable in the house now... we have been very adamant in getting him outside to use the restroom and he hasn't went in the house the last 3 days. He now is sleeping and calmer when on JUST the Prozac BUT again still very unusual for this dog.

Had an appointment at 7am this morning with Doc and rechecked his eyes, hearing, and blood work.... ALL GOOD!

checked his temp and prostate... Doc thought the prostate seemed enlarged so they did an ultrasound

They had to hit him hard with a sedative to get him sedated and Doc said he went down HARD/fighting but they found a mass on his Adrenal Gland and significant inflammation in his intestines. Doc said he needs to see a specialist at the U of IL...

thats all I got right now from him as I am supposed to pick the dog up after work today and will find out more then

RickB

Post by RickB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Steroid Responsive Meningitis Arteritis...(aka SRMA)

Google it. You'll see that your symptoms match about perfectly. Tell your vet to look into it.

My dog had this.

Take his nose/muzzle and bend his head down toward his chest. If he yelps in pain, most likely SRMA.
From what I understand, there isn't really a test for this. You give him Steroids and check for results.

the vet gave my dog a steroid shot. In about 2 hours, his symptoms had vanished. Get the shot. If it helps, then get the dog to put him on the course for SRMA. If the shot doesn't help, you have caused no harm.

If your dog won't bend down to eat, but gobbles food when placed where he can reach it, he has tremendous pain in his neck.

Petey, your dog has anxiety because he is in tremendous pain.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

petrey10 wrote:update....

the prozac has greatly reduced wrigley's anxiety... still acting very unusual but he is at least tolerable in the house now... we have been very adamant in getting him outside to use the restroom and he hasn't went in the house the last 3 days. He now is sleeping and calmer when on JUST the Prozac BUT again still very unusual for this dog.

Had an appointment at 7am this morning with Doc and rechecked his eyes, hearing, and blood work.... ALL GOOD!

checked his temp and prostate... Doc thought the prostate seemed enlarged so they did an ultrasound

They had to hit him hard with a sedative to get him sedated and Doc said he went down HARD/fighting but they found a mass on his Adrenal Gland and significant inflammation in his intestines. Doc said he needs to see a specialist at the U of IL...

thats all I got right now from him as I am supposed to pick the dog up after work today and will find out more then

NOt good news I guess but now you have an idea of the problem and a plan. Hope things get turned around for you and your dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/can ... romocytoma

this covers a lot of his symptoms ......... there was a mass found on his adrenal gland yesterday... i am taking him for a consult to the U of I tomorrow at 11am. He was miserable last night after we got home from the vet.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

At least you are on the right track and will be getting expert advice. I hope there is something they can do to help him and I REALLY commend you for looking further. You knew there was something wrong, but sometimes it can be hard to find. Especially with a pet that can not verbally explain what they feel. I am not sure our human doctors are as thorough and they are often ready to jump to depression/anxiety meds or pain meds without looking further.
Well wishes to you and your dog.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:38 pm

petrey10, A mass on the adrenal glands does indeed explain a lot. My wife and I are glad to hear you guys worked hard and dialed it down for Wrigley. Cushings plus tumor? Remove the tumor and med cycle and we hope and pray you guys will be back hunting together someday soon! Just my 2cents, and I agree with mountaindogs 100%...it seems like Docs these days are way to quick to put 4leggers and 2leggers on anxiety meds and walk away from a real health concern just to cash their easy paychecks. -Mark

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

I really commend you for your persistence. Your dog is lucky to have you. Wishing you both well and will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 am

well guys we were at the U of I for a while yesterday and we decided our first step was to do a chest Xray because the Doctor said if he has Adrenal Cancer that there is a good chance he has it elsewhere particularly the lungs. When the Xrays came back it was quite obvious he had significant cancer in his body. A tumor the size of a baseball was right next to his heart and the doctor thought he also had a brain tumor because of how bad a small dose of their sedative affected him. She said he lost all control of his motor functions which shouldn't have happened with the small dose she gave him.

So I brought Wrigley home, we said our good byes and I headed to our family Vet to put him down...

He was a great dog... the best I could have asked for...

Thank you for your help...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 am

I am sorry you lost your friend.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

I am so sorry about Wrigley. Know that you did the best anyone could to help him, and he is at peace now.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 am

So very sorry to hear that. RIP Wrigley.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

Wow!! just read this for the first time. I am truly sorry that he and you had to endure all of this. I can't imagine how hard this was for you. May he forever chase that big ball in the sky. At least you know now he is at peace. I give you major credit for the distance you went for your friend. Good luck to you and your wife.

Joe

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 pm

So sorry for your loss. Wrigley sounded like a heck of a dog and you sure showed him a good life.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry for your loss. I've been following this post from the start. I can tell you were very devoted to the dog. You lost a good friend and he lost a good master.

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Sorry for your loss.