Corn Cobs

mollyjmu

Corn Cobs

Post by mollyjmu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm

My year old lab started vomiting Sunday and couldn't keep any food down. After staying up with her all night Monday I took her to the vet for x rays, which revealed a blockage in her small intestine that looked like a corn cob and would require a $1,000 surgery. I thought there was no way in heck, I haven't had corn since summertime and took my chances that she would pass it on her own. Needless to say things only got worse - the dog wouldn't eat or drink anything. I took her back to vet today and low and behold the doc finds a 2" corn cob in the small intestine.

Moral of the story: trust your vet and keep your dog away from corn cobs!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Corn Cobs

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:24 pm

If you have dogs and like to feed the birds also in the back yard , these things can be a problem. Corn cobs fall from the container onto the ground, seeds get moldy on the ground but the dog eats them anyways ......can get sick....fat blocks for woodpeckers go moldy easily............... I guess I should stop feeding the birds. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Record we have at our hospital is 13 corn cobs removed from a Greyhounds stomach. What was he thinking?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:35 pm

Our dogs on the farm lived in the corn crib eating corn off of the cobs and between the squirrels and the dogs they bring corn from the field back of us and leave them here in the yard. Our dogs love the old moldy grass that I did out of the mower every few weeks but just never have had a problem with any of it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 am

I have a drahthaar friend that brought an older pup, probably 8-9 months, to a training day last September. I'm guessing he didn't notice the pups demeanor when he loaded it in the early morning dark hours, but the pup looked absolutely whipped and vomited or tried to vomit several times during the day. He ended up crating it for the most part. Sometime shortly after he got home, he ended up at the veterinarians, paying for surgery for a blockage. It was a piece of corncob. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, in the scheme of things, but he spent a chunk of change on a corn cob too.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm

I had a setter get a corn cob stuck in him this fall, cost us nice sum of money! Vet told me its fairly common.

MNspanielguy

Post by MNspanielguy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Same here, only it was labor day weekend. Can anyone spare $3,100?