Heartworm Pills?

Double Shot Banks

Heartworm Pills?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 am

Do you give heartworm meds in the winter? i was told you dont need to because there are no mosquitos. although i just wanted to know what everyone else is doing,
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Heartworm Pills?

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:13 am

Isaac,

I don't give HW preventative in December, January, or February. I do start back up in March. My vet wants me to stay on it year round but I don't like giving unnecessary medications. If I travel with the dogs outside of the midwest during those months, I will treat them.

Also, if you've been reading the posts on Ivomec - that's what I give monthly - the swine and cattle type that I buy from Orschelns.

Elsa
Double Shot Banks wrote:Do you give heartworm meds in the winter? i was told you dont need to because there are no mosquitos. although i just wanted to know what everyone else is doing,
Thanks
Isaac and Banks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Depends where you live . Once the ground is frozen hard there are no fleas around . So where I live Heartworm preventative is only used from April - Oct. depending on the onset of winter.

Sometimes there is more to the story though:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/seasonal/evr_m ... ing_winter
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm

It is best to continue year round...Thing about Heartworm regime ..it does not give your dog 30 days of protection...What it does it kills what is in the system for about the next 24-72 hours depending on the doseage ...AFter 72 hours if an infected mosquito bites your dog that has the next 27 days to mature which still is in the stage where the ivermectin or what ever can still kill the heartworm...So if you stop giving the pills and lets say 5 days aftre that last dose some mosquito got to your dog that would have 4 months to mature which is well beyond where the heartworm preventative can be effective to killing the worms.

Hope that makes sense ....You can look this up via http://www.heartwormsociety.org/
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:16 pm

ya I'll just stick with the year round once a month. Better to be in a habit and save my dogs life. Then take shortcuts.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm

I also give it all year.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Back

Post by Back » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:42 pm

birddogger wrote:I also give it all year.

Charlie
+1

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I will definitely continue all year, i guess i didn't think it through,
Thanks everyone!
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.