GSP coat

MN Bonasa

GSP coat

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 pm

What is common in shorthirs as far as their coat is concerned. I was just at the vet the other day and they commented on how soft her coat is, and it is really soft fur. She said that alot of the shorthairs she has dealt with in the past have been more wirey type coat. Now is the softness of the coat more of a diet type thing or is it come in the way of genetics and bloodlines? I have been feeding her Science Diet since she was a pup and we love giving her fruits and veggies for snacks which she loves.
As they get older does the fur get more coarse?

Echo Hill Kennel

Re: GSP coat

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm

The coat will vary among different breed lines of shorthairs. I have an all liver male with very soft fur to a liver and white female that is more wire feeling to the touch. One thing I like about the wire coat is it dries so fast. The coat will stay pretty much the same the dogs life. In the winter time if the dog is outside a lot in colder temps the coat will become somewhat thicker.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:10 pm

My vet said the same thing and chalked it up to food. I was feeding quality food. I tried to switch to something cheaper and within a week noticed her coat was not as shiny or soft so I went right back and it went back to normal. It is a very good possibility that genetics play a part in this equation as well.

John

Deuce

GSP coat

Post by Deuce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 pm

My experience is it depends on the dog and food. My 10yo GSP has soft fur, which got softer when I switched foods. My 8 yo GSP is out of my 10yo litter mate and her fur is harsher, but softer after switching foods.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Echo Hill Kennel wrote:The coat will vary among different breed lines of shorthairs.
+1 I find that dogs with a bit longer coat have softer hair.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Food can have an effect on the amount of oil in the coat but you will be hard pressed to try and explain how it could effect hair that was grown months ago and doesn't change but just drops out when it sheds. But courseness of the hair is different with different dogs and is genetic.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 pm

I think it has a lot to do with genetics, as well as food.
When you've been around a lot of different lines of shorthairs you can see the differences in the coats. There are thin wirey coats, thick wirey coats, thin soft coats thick soft coats, European coats. I really dig the euro coat. Thick,soft,belly fully covered in hair,and it actually has like an almost curly wave look to it across the back.

Without a good food source the coat will become dingy, and extremely thin. I really like how bright ,thick,and soft pro plan puppy chow and adult makes the coats look and feel. You can really see a difference in types of food.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I agree with previous posters....it is definitely variable based on each individual's genetics. I have two GSPs and they couldn't have more difference in their coats. One has a very thin coat with little/no undercoat. The benefit is that he dries almost before he gets out of the water and handles heat very well. On the downside, after pheasant hunting for a week in SD cover, he looks like he has been run through a meat grinder. My other GSP has a much thicker coat and a good undercoat and is the polar opposite of the other dog. Takes forever to dry and is far more heat sensitive. On the good side, he comes back from SD looking no worse for the wear.

Randy

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

My 2 GSP's are like Prairie Goat's..one has very fine short hair and the other has thicker longer hair. They are built different too. the fine thin haired dog is tall and lanky..the thicker haired dog is short and stocky.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Food can have an effect on the amount of oil in the coat but you will be hard pressed to try and explain how it could effect hair that was grown months ago and doesn't change but just drops out when it sheds. But courseness of the hair is different with different dogs and is genetic.

Ezzy
Yep!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way