Blood

jeffkrop

Blood

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:13 am

After training this morning I thought I would let my dog play with some others at the dog park.
I want to get him around more dogs as I would like him to be a obedience and therapy dog when he get older.
My brittany is still timid around other dogs and one got him good.
He is at the vet now about to get some stitches.

I am posting this to ask what can I use if he is bleeding like this again. How can I stop the blood from gushing out?
There is blood in every room of my home from trying to get cleaned up to see if he needs the vet.
I have a first aid kit but I think it is short somethings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mudhunter

Re: Blood

Post by mudhunter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 am

Dog parks are bad idea in my opinion for just the reason you are at the vet (and also communicable disease).
Ears bleed like crazy when they get cut. I use Emt gel and then tape the ear to the dogs head. Everytime they shake they will reopen the cut so tape seems to be the only way. They heal fast and ive never bothered to get them stiched.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

EMT ointment. Best stuff I've found for stopping bleeding quick.
Sorry this happened to your pup. I don't like dog parks for risks like this.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am

Vet wrap works great on many cuts. I used it to secure a sucking chest wound until we could get to the ER.

I don't shy away from dog parks. These are sporting dogs and they are placed in much more dangerous situations on a daily basis. If they are well specialized and current on vaccines they should be able to go anywhere. That's just me though.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:06 am

I've had many bad experiences at dog parks - so I am really careful about going to those places. As for the bleeding - EMT gel and then vetwrapping the ear to the head so he can't shake it. That usually works for me. But the ears do bleed a ton - so I leave them out in the kennel if they've had an injury like that.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:38 pm

To answer the question, granulated white sugar does a super job of stopping bleeding from injuries like that.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 am

So my 5 month old brittany got some stitches and spent the day at the vet. Someone else's dog cost my family $275 that kind of sucks.
He is in a cone for 2 weeks, good time to be a puppy and play. Ill keep feeding and watching his pigeons.

We live 3 blocks from a great dog park in a neighborhood we love and my new dog gets bite. Id say we are done with the dog park.

frosso

Post by frosso » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 am

I carry a Quick Clot clotting sponge when I'm hunting. It's supposed to stop bleeding. Thank goodness I haven't had to test it yet. I also carry a small dog first aid kit with EMT gel.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:43 am

frosso wrote:I carry a Quick Clot clotting sponge when I'm hunting. It's supposed to stop bleeding. Thank goodness I haven't had to test it yet. I also carry a small dog first aid kit with EMT gel.
Forgot about those pads. They are the bomb.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 am

Those pads have Kaolin powder right? Kaolin was the 'Kao' in Kaopectate. Bit of useless trivia.