Urine Question

hoffmann35

Urine Question

Post by hoffmann35 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:43 pm

My pup had an accident in the house, and I noticed there was quit a bit of blood in his urine. What possibilities could this be. He is going to vet for it tomorrow. I would just like to come a little prepared. BTW there was no pee smell to the urine, but there was a fruity type smell, almost like an air freshener. Any help is greatly appreciated, just hope there isn't any major problems. Thanks

Joe

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:47 pm

Let me start by saying that I am not a vet and really do not have a clue what those symptoms suggest. I did want to ask you though, if you changed the antifreeze on your car, or if your dog had access to antifreeze today. If so, you need to bring the dog in to the vet now, not tomorrow. Tomorrow will be too late.

Standard antifreeze, ethylene glycol, is highly toxic to dogs and exposure often occurs this time of year. What makes me suggest it is that it is sweet, to a dog anyway.

Good luck, totally hope I am wrong.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 pm

I'll qualify myself the same way as John , no vet here at all. Maybe the sweetness is a product of a diabetic dog?

Same thing, get him in asap to be safe.

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:08 pm

He hasn't had access to antifreeze thank God. All that I can remember is that when we went for a jog today, I let him off leash for a few minutes and he got into another dogs feces. I dont know if he did actually swallow, but I know it was in his mouth. I don't know if that can make the urine bloody. Other than that, he was chasing weeds but not swallowing. Thanks for the concern John!

Joe

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:18 pm

I've heard that when you run your dog to hard, his urine can get bloody. Dont know how true that is. I belive that there would have to be something pretty nasty in the other dogs feces to make it bloody that quik.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm

I would also like to start by saying that I am not a vet nor am I qualified to diagnose such symptoms. The reason I chose to reply is that my GSP had a similar incident when she was roughly 4 months old.

It turned out to be a severe bladder infection which was remedied by simple antibiotics. It had to be extremely painful.

Just another possibility.

Jon

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:44 pm

I got in contact with my vet last night and thats what the symptoms sounded like to her. He was acting normal just peeing blood. We'll se though, his appointment is in a half hour. He only did it twice and today his urine is normal. THanks for the concern and help.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:47 pm

common things occur commonly. that is a urinary tract infection if I ever saw one. Of course, now that I have posted my diagnosis for the world to see it will be something different and the world will think I am an idiot!! :D :D

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:53 am

Surprisingly this wasn't an infection. After taking in a urine sample and blood sample, the vet said there wasn't any indication in either. I guess there wasn't any white blood cells in the urine, where there should have been a bunch to indicate an infection. That surprised me and she really couldn't figure out what it was. She checked the prostate to see if it was pushing the bladder and that checked out. Had a thourough checkup done and everything checked out. He got put on antibiotics just in case though. So everything is okay and back to normal. Was just a little worried, never had a pet pee blood before.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:14 am

A couple years ago we were hunting one of our GSPs with our friend and his Brittany. I was carrying a couple Pro Plan Bars and randomly giving out pieces at treats. Our dog didn't care for them much so I sort of overdosed the Brittany on them. :oops: The ground was covered with snow and it began to appear the the Britt was peeing blood. The coloring in the energy bar changed the color of her urine! Just a thought...

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:39 am

My male gsp had blood in his urine once. He strained to pee as well. Turned out to be a prostate infection.