Ear Infection Side Affects--Droopy Mouth and Can't Blink??

Otts

Ear Infection Side Affects--Droopy Mouth and Can't Blink??

Post by Otts » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:37 am

My father in law noticed that his 2 year old lab drools alot lately. Upon looking her over he realized that she only drools from one side of the mouth because it droops now and her eye lid on that side does not blink. He brought her to a vet and he said she has an ear infection and that was causing the sysmptoms. He gave him drops for the eye and some medication and suggested that he keep the dog out of water until next summer. Does this sound right? Just checking.
Otts

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:51 pm

I have a hard time believing that an ear infection would cause that.
Not to scare you or anything, but it sounds like a Stroke.
I am by no means a vet, nor do I have medical training, but that's what it sounds like to me from your description.

I'd just watch the dog carefully for any signs of worsening, and take it to the Vet immediately if it does worsen.

Just my 2 cent.

Jon

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:53 pm

personally I would get a second opinion. I have never seen an ear infection cause that.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:58 pm

the ear infection could cause that if it was an internal ear infection. Usually these will be a result of an external ear infection that is severe enough to rupture the eardrum and then infect the inner ear. HOWEVER, usually I see a head tilt to the side of the infected ear and/or some circling to that side as well, because the 8th cranial nerve is the one that you see a problem with as it is closes to the inner ear. BUT, you can see facial paralysis with an inner ear problem as well. With facial paralysis (the dogs lip drooping) the 7th cranial nerve is affected, and with the eyelid problem, actually I am pretty sure that is a 7th cranial nerve problem as well. In a young dog, something like a tumor would be less likely, but always possible. If the dog has been shaking his head alot like his ears bother him, I would suspect the ear infection, too. If he gets worse or doesnt improve in about 3 days, then get a second opinion or go back for more diagnostics. my suggestion would be to give your vet another chance :wink: :wink: . :D :D

Otts

Post by Otts » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:35 am

The vet mentioned that maybe the dog ran into something very hard and may have damaged a nerve. With the dog being young and running with others that may be possible also. He said we could send her to the U to do some testing to maybe figure it out. The father in law is going to wait and see if she gets better or to atleast make sure she doesn't get worse.

Thanks for the info guys,
Otts

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 pm

the more i think about this the more convinced i am your dog has a prblem with the 7th cranial nerve. That nerve is mostly internal, meaning a bump to the side of the head shouldnt cause a problem unless it was a pretty severe bump (like from a car). does the 3rd eyelid look okay?? is it protruding?? will the dogs pupil react to light??

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Sounds like Bell' Palsy in humans, which is an interaction of a couple of cranial nerves. There are different theories as to why. In severalweeks, it is self correcting usually.
big steve