Hyperventilating pup

JeremyKS

Hyperventilating pup

Post by JeremyKS » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:07 pm

I have a 9 mo old gsp pup that will have hyperventilating attacks every once in awhile but has had several in the pass few weeks. Is this something to be concerned about if not what causes it?
Thanks
Jeremy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:11 pm

How do you know it is hyperventilating? What are the symptoms?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JeremyKS

Post by JeremyKS » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 pm

he acts like he can't catch his breath and sucks air in real loudly for just a few seconds. almost sounds like a human asthma attack

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 pm

You sure it's not just a dog cough? Sounds more like a cold, or kennel cough.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

JeremyKS

Post by JeremyKS » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:44 am

no not a cough it sounds like it panics and can't breathe. Almost like he gags but doesn't ever act like he is going to cough and puke something up. He will just sit there and hyperventilate for a maybe 5 seconds and then he is fine. Ive seen an old lab did this that was really old. She would do it while sleeping almost like she would forget to breathe and then panic and wake up.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 am

collapsing trachea??? not a common ailment in medium or large breed dogs, but a possibility. talk to your vet, but its tough to diagnose sometimes.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:21 am

JeremyKS wrote:...He will just sit there and hyperventilate for a maybe 5 seconds and then he is fine...
Sounds like a reverse sneeze to me. All my dogs do it often, nothing out of the ordinary. If you take them by the muzzle and blow into their nose, it will usually stop - but if it only lasts 5 seconds, then don't bother.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:20 pm

snips wrote a little about an ailment called laryngeal paralysis. if that is what your dog has, it sounds like the very early stages. panting is one of the early symptoms. maybe you could email her and get a better description. http://www.godivalabs.com/LP.html

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:35 pm

Oh good grief, this is a 9 month old puppy. :roll:

Here's the first thing I pulled off a google search from the purina one website:

Reverse Sneezing

Holly Frisby, DVM, MS

Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Q. Is reverse sneezing the cause of my dog's funny wheezing?

A.
Dogs have a condition we call a 'reverse sneeze.' It gets its name because the dog rapidly pulls air into his nose, whereas in a 'regular' sneeze, the air is rapidly pushed out through the nose.
If you witness a dog having a reverse sneeze it may seem alarming, but it is not a harmful condition, and there are no ill effects. The dog is completely normal before and after the episode. During a reverse sneeze, the dog will make rapid and long inspirations, stand still, and extend his head. A loud snorting sound is produced, which may make you think the dog has something caught in his nose.

A reverse sneezing episode can last for several seconds to a minute.

The cause of a reverse sneeze is unknown.

More links:
http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html
http://www.papillonclub.org/Education/trachea.htm
http://www.animalsdr.com/articles/info/ ... neeze.html

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:43 pm

I am not a Vet and can't tell for sure what your dog has, but it sounds exactly like what one of mine does. I came unglued the first time it happened; thought the dog was going to fall over dead. Needless to say; we loaded the dog into the truck.... off to the Vet. By this time the dog was looking around as if...."What's going on, why the big rush?" In any case after a complete exam including looking down the throat with a lighted tube, the Vet announced that it was a "reverse sneeze." Yeh, right a "reverse sneeze." What the "bleep" is that I thought......Well, I bet by now you have been to most of the web sites I went to. Some are pretty good, others a bit misleading. Bottom line.....if you dog does have reverse sneezing....do not be alarmed. Another poster mentioned blowing in the dog's nose.....I've done that and it seemed to work. I've rubbed the throat area......that seemed to work. I've rubbed the nose vigorously with a wet wash cloth....that seemed to work. I've done nothing at times.....that seemed to work. So all in all I'm not sure anything worked better or quicker to stop these sneezes than doing nothing at all. But doing something made me feel better.

It is scary when it happens and dang if I can connect dots to build a pattern of when, why and or what causes them.......just one of those things.

But as said......there is no way that I know if your dog has this or not. So close contact and support from your Vet is probably a good idea until you both can rule out completely any more serious causation issues.

Al

JeremyKS

Post by JeremyKS » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:51 pm

thanks for all the help...Looking at the descriptions of the reverse sneeze it sounds exactly like what my dog is doing. I will keep a close eye on him but he seems to be doing just fine. I appreciate all the help
Jeremy

tfbirddog2

sneezing

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:31 pm

I know I'm late but all three of my dogs have done it and one was doing it this morning.Like LSK I to spazed out and had my vet on the phone till she told me its just a reversed sneeze.NEways thtas animals for you something new every day.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:10 pm

So, is this somthing that goes away? Is it genetic? My dog has never done it. So im kinda curious as to what this is.

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:21 pm

IT'S HARMLESS, IT'S GOOFY, and as our recent Pres. Clinton said:
"It is what it is.'

Nope, no indication that it is genetic. Ain't that big an issue.

Al

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:30 pm

Jason........In all seriousness...............Yes, it goes away, until the dog does it again. Sometimes they never do. A 'reverse sneeze" is scary, but a real "non-event." However......and this is really important: This thread should NEVER be considered in any way as an authoritive source document for a dog that ALL OF A SUDDEN HAS BREATHING PROBLEMS. If your dog or any dog EVER displays unusual breathing problems.....RUN don't WALK to your VET.

If the DX is a reverse sneeze.......great.......then buckle up for the ride when it happens. It might not be that.........then you need your VET.

Al

JeremyKS

Post by JeremyKS » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:58 am

just to give an update he has not done this since the beginning of the post. This should give everybody an idea how this just comes and goes and is unpredictable