Vaccine Schedule For Adults

Rocio.Varela

Vaccine Schedule For Adults

Post by Rocio.Varela » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm

What kind of vaccine schedules do you guys do on your dogs? Also, what brand of vaccines do you guys prefer?

We are just trying to steer clear of vets, to save and go around the $40 office visit on average; We have two adult males, and it is more cost efficient for us to vaccinate them ourselves. With what we've learned from this forum we have saved quite a bit on office visits already, thanks for everything!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Vaccine Schedule For Adults

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 am

I never vaccinate my older dogs under normal conditions. Most probably carry a lifetime immunity after given the series of puppy shots. Just have never been a fan of yearly boosters unless proven they need them and I have never had a problem.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 am

All good places that offer boarding and training will not take in a dog unless you provide some form of record the dog is regularly vaccinated. Who would want a dog not vaccinated regularly in their kennel only to get their field champion sick with something?

Foster and Smith has a vaccine guide to look at if you are interested along with a vaccine comparison chart table. If you know of some guys in your area that vaccinate their dogs, I suggest asking them to help you learn the ropes. I give my three adult dogs 7way vaccines and their kennel cough nasal injections once a year. Usually, around May through October, I give them a flea and tick topical as well.

The only shot you cannot vaccinate on your own is a rabies vaccine. That you would have to go into the vet's office. But that is once every three years if they are adult dogs by now.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 am

Rabies of course and a 5/7 way as needed that year based on activities. As they get older and I take them to less places, I reduce their vaccinations. I'm pretty set on immunity build up, but with the amount I travel, I'm required to have more than I'd like.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

I use the common series - rabies every 3 years, DA2PP/Corona, Lepto,4DX, Bordetella ( needing for boarding) + a physical = $300. a year = $25.00 a month which is less than I spend on coffee in a month.( I only have 2 dogs now.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

The bacterial vaccines really depend on where you live.

Rabies is law

The others, well after the booster at age 1, don't seem to be required.

Five years ago, Dodd and Schultz were considered quacks but they were right.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 pm

millerms06 wrote:All good places that offer boarding and training will not take in a dog unless you provide some form of record the dog is regularly vaccinated. Who would want a dog not vaccinated regularly in their kennel only to get their field champion sick with something?

Foster and Smith has a vaccine guide to look at if you are interested along with a vaccine comparison chart table. If you know of some guys in your area that vaccinate their dogs, I suggest asking them to help you learn the ropes. I give my three adult dogs 7way vaccines and their kennel cough nasal injections once a year. Usually, around May through October, I give them a flea and tick topical as well.

The only shot you cannot vaccinate on your own is a rabies vaccine. That you would have to go into the vet's office. But that is once every three years if they are adult dogs by now.
Once a year???? Even the AVMA doesn't recommend shots that frequently. 3 years and you could easily go longer.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Never had a problem only vaccinating as puppies. When they get to be older I worm monthly.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:01 pm

topher40 wrote:Never had a problem only vaccinating as puppies. When they get to be older I worm monthly.
+1

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

MonsterDad wrote:
millerms06 wrote:All good places that offer boarding and training will not take in a dog unless you provide some form of record the dog is regularly vaccinated. Who would want a dog not vaccinated regularly in their kennel only to get their field champion sick with something?

Once a year???? Even the AVMA doesn't recommend shots that frequently. 3 years and you could easily go longer.
Thanks for the type-o clarification. I do vaccinate every three years after the first year.