Stopping heat cycle

northern cajun

Stopping heat cycle

Post by northern cajun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am

Anyone ever use Cheque Drops or Ovaban to stop a heat cycle? Any opinions?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

KwikIrish

Re: Stopping heat cycle

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 pm

We've used iron several bitches in the past while showing.
All of them had no repro issues following the use.

I know a vet who advocates their use as she read a study that argues that the use of check drops can be of major benefit. The idea is that every season they have without being bred is a waste of the higher quality eggs. If you wait through 3 seasons to breed her on the 4th, that's three rounds of eggs which are higher quality than the fourth round which you are then utilizing. You also have the benefit to the uterus lining as well to consider.

I've never seen this study, but I find it logical and easy to understand. Perhaps I'll inquire when I see her next week.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm

KwikIrish wrote:We've used iron several bitches in the past while showing.
All of them had no repro issues following the use.

I know a vet who advocates their use as she read a study that argues that the use of check drops can be of major benefit. The idea is that every season they have without being bred is a waste of the higher quality eggs. If you wait through 3 seasons to breed her on the 4th, that's three rounds of eggs which are higher quality than the fourth round which you are then utilizing. You also have the benefit to the uterus lining as well to consider.

I've never seen this study, but I find it logical and easy to understand. Perhaps I'll inquire when I see her next week.
I'd be really curious to see this article. I am certainly no expert but would like to know why eggs are considered higher quaility when the bitch is younger than later on? Sounds interesting.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm

I think this theory is hard to prove and I know with some prescriptions to delay heat has caused problems later. I just don't see it as a good thing to do but I suppose it depends on what is most important to the owner.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Joann Randall, DVM
Diplomate, American College of Theriogenologists

I would contact her as to what heat cycles do and how the effect the uterine lining with each heat cycle and the best ways to breed females it is her specialty ..When she was here in AZ I forget to ask her about her thoughts on these products that stop heat cycles but I can tell you she never spoke of them ...and I would think if they were a viable means of "protecting" the eggs or uterus she would have talked about them...
I know my vet refuses to use them or carry them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I think I would be interested in learning more.
I have a male and now a female. Male has bred and we have housed the females while breeding(we are not a kennel, so dogs lived in house with us and we just rotate dogs). No big problems with that.
BUT, now that our female has been in season it has been MUCH different then the others. Actually to the point that I think it is down right cruel for my male. :cry: So, knowing that my female will not be approved for breeding for another year or so, the thought of postponing her heat sound like a win win to me.

I would like to hear from more people that have done this.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

That logic doesn't make sense to me. I thought the reason its better to breed when younger is because younger eggs are better. Delaying the release of certain eggs from year 2 until year 4 just makes those eggs 2 years older. Sounds like marketing hype to me.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 am

Anyone use these and have issues with infertility later?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit