Seresto Flea & Tick Collar

MonsterDad

Seresto Flea & Tick Collar

Post by MonsterDad » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Bayer, which makes Advantix, has a new collar out that looks pretty good. 8 months of protection, it can get wet, and basically the same chemicals in Advantix.

Dr. Foster & Smith has it for $49.99 less a $20 rebate, so $29.99 for 8 months. Even if it only lasts 6 months that is a deal. Has been on sale in Europe for a while and I didn't see any complaints.

dog dr

Re: Seresto Flea & Tick Collar

Post by dog dr » Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am

been using it on a couple of my dogs - so far works great, no complaints. did find a couple big ticks on one of the dogs last night tho, but the collar was getting loose and i think it needs to be in good contact with the skin. Thats a great price by the way.

KingLlew

Post by KingLlew » Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 am

Interested in trying it but am afraid of it getting shredded in the field. That price is best I've seen.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun May 12, 2013 11:51 am

Dr F&S guaranties everything no questions asked.

I just put it on and it stays high up on the neck (it has little ridges inside) and it is a pretty heafty plastic material not like the typical stretchy kinds. It looks to me like if it gets caught up it will unslide from the buckle area and not snap, so you can put it back on. You could also just take it off until you are done. This stuff is transferred to the skin like the topicals, so the collar being off for a few hours doesn't make it less effective.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Mon May 13, 2013 8:14 pm

I work at a pet retailer that sells this collar, and I'll tell you that is a great price. The $20 rebate isn't F&S specific, that is a general promo with Bayer right now, but our price is significantly higher.

Of the customers who have purchased it through our store (around 5, it is still new) I have not heard any complaints thus far. Then again, all of them were smaller dogs, and not hunting dogs at that.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 pm

This collar rocks. Been on for several weeks now in the height of tick season and not one tick. No neck irritation and I got my $20 rebate already.

Nice heavy duty construction too.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 am

So Im sure there are some of you that have used these for some time now. How does it hold up in the field?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

I have had one on a dog that goes through some nasty stuff for a month now and I am not impressed. Ticks are under control, but it's not that great on fleas.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:23 am

No issues with fleas or ticks with this collar, not even the fleas they seem to pick up at the beach.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 pm

No problems so far with fleas or ticks in the jungles of deep East Texas so far. It is yet to be determined how long they last though. Especially since the dogs live on a lake and swim every day. So far I'm liking them.

Then again, I was using Revolution and never had ANY tick (wink) on one of my dogs much less fleas.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Dad swears by them, but fleas aren't really an issue for him, ticks are a huge issue though.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 am

reading back through old threads for flea & tick advice. Our ticks are ridiculous in this area, I pulled 18 off of the me/dog combo after one walk a couple months ago. We've used multiple topicals (our vet keeps switching all puppies across the free samples the companies give), then recommended the Seresto once the free topicals were over. We've had it on a month or so now, and other than the fact that it was cut wrong and doesn't fit quite right it seems to be doing it's job.
This thread is 5 years old and the collar was new back then. What is the modern consensus now that it's been out for a long time? Is it the way to go, or do most people use topicals, or is there something better.

Side note: My daughter just got lyme disease, and I'm REALLY wanting the dog to not get it and/or drag any ticks in to the house that can spread disease to other members of the family. I want the best tick preventative I can possibly find.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 am

This is my second year with these collars, I have not seen a tick or flea since using them. Great product.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:06 am

Serestos go on my dogs near the end of March. I found one dead tick on one of the dogs in April. Nothing since. This is the second year my dogs have had the collars.

Full disclosure, we also use Sentinel Spectrum monthly. We battled fleas until we started Sentinel, way back when it first came out. Not a flea since ( knock wood!!!)

Thinblueline

Post by Thinblueline » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:06 am

I’ve been using K9 Advantix II with excellent results. No ticks, but my dog is a little oily for a couple days after application, and I suspect he is just a little itchy for those first couple days too.

Concerning the Seresto collar, does anyone know if it would be effective on a fairly hairy French Brittany? If it has to be against skin, I wonder if his thick, wavy hair would reduce its effectiveness.

The other thing I wonder about is how tight it has to be against the neck. Everybody keeps saying it has to be tight. Just being sympathetic to the dog, that would drive me crazy to have something tight against my neck for months. I keep his regular collar just snug enough to keep it from sliding up and down his neck, but loose enough to keep him comfortable. If it’s a little too snug, he gets to scratching at it. I want to keep the ticks off, but I don’t want my dog to be uncomfortable either. I guess I’m weighing if it’s best to have the dog a little itchy for a couple days with the topical or uncomfortable every single minute of every day during tick season with a tight collar around his neck. I guess I just don’t know how tight these things have to be.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am

I think the seresto collars work great. we tell our clients to keep it snug enough that you can just slide 1 finger under it. My personal dogs don't seem to mind it at all. I made the comment to my dad that the seresto collar he had on his farm dog must be working, I didn't see a single tick or flea. Dad said, "yep, 3rd season". I said "what do you mean?" He says "this is the 3rd summer ive used the same collar. I just put it in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for winter, and get it back out in the spring!". My dad, the cheapskate...

Minston

Post by Minston » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 am

Seresto collar works fine as preventative, either way, you supposed to use it combined with other measures, but it really depends on the climate of your area. Haven't used Bayer collars, but I'll consider it as an option. Can say Advantix II and Seresto collar works fine for me, I had only big dogs though. The article on pestcontrolhacks says that you may try also pills like Nexguard or Bravecto, but consider asking a vet about those. You should use it once per 12-18 weeks.