skinned out nose ran into a rock- advice

NLsetter

skinned out nose ran into a rock- advice

Post by NLsetter » Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Ok so now I remember what its like to have a 5 month old setter. Coordination hasnt caught up with the growth spurt. Little guy was out running around a field chasing robins and just being a retard when he ran into a big rock in some tall grass. Seen him walking away with his head down and I knew he had run into it, then see blood streaming from his face. First thought he had busted out a tooth or something and then find out he has a nice gash and scrap on his lower nose upper lip. The gash is a little deep on the lip but doesnt look to need stitches and I cleaned it out well with distilled water and peroxide when I got home and put some EMT gel on it but licked off in 5 seconds.

Just a question for anyone on here that may be a vet etc.. Bleeding is stopped but there is a piece of skin hanging where he scrapped it should this be removed or will it fall off when healed?

This should make for a nice scar on that black nose, will need to fill it in with a sharpie if I ever plan on showing him LOL

Double Shot Banks

Re: skinned out nose ran into a rock- advice

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue May 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I am Definetely not a vet, but i would let it heal on its own 100% and if any more use triple antibiotic. A vet would tell you for sure though.
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:I am Definetely not a vet, but i would let it heal on its own 100% and if any more use triple antibiotic. A vet would tell you for sure though.
Isaac and Banks
ditto

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu May 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Its healing up good, rinse 3-4 times a day with salt water and apply EMT gel 3-4 times a day.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun May 26, 2013 10:51 am

There's lots of blood flow in the nose and lip area of dogs and people. These areas heal fast with most wounds.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:55 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:There's lots of blood flow in the nose and lip area of dogs and people. These areas heal fast with most wounds.
Yes they do!.. but they still scare the crap out of us when it's our kids or our dogs!.. Lol!.. :lol: Like they say, if yer gonna be dumb, ya better be tough... :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 am

The ears are pretty vascular too. On an early hunting trip with my pup she caught her ear on some barbed wire. She didn't even notice. When she got back to me, the amount of blood she was covered in was amazing... her entire front was soaked and there was a pretty steady stream of blood. It took a lot of pressure for a long time to get the bleeding stopped, the whole time she was giving me the stink eye for making her sit there and holding her ear while there were birds around. I've been less bloody after dressing a deer than I was after dealing with that little cut on the dog's ear.

I keep a little bottle of styptic gel in my hunting vest now.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:15 am

I have a video from DVM Randy Acker that he shows how to bandage a cut ear. The dog ends up looking like a victim in a practice emergency drill. :D

I got from the video the main thing is to keep the ear from flopping around a d reopening the wound.