raw paws

benelli

raw paws

Post by benelli » Mon May 27, 2013 7:24 pm

We just got back from a weekend at my parents' cabin in the mountains. Scout (1 yr GSP) had a blast the first day charging all over the mountain ... and after about six hours of fun, he was a wreck. His paws are so sore; now that we're home and he isn't covered in dirt, I can see just how much of a beating they took. On his front two paws there is a spot about the size of a quarter up on the side of the main pad (I don't think it's directly in contact with the ground when he walks), and on one back leg there is a somewhat raw spot a little above his paw on the back - I'm not sure how that happened, since that area doesn't come into contact with the ground.

Obviously we should have had boots to put on him, but that didn't occur to us at the time. Is there anything we can do for him now that will help him hurt less/heal faster? Any idea how long these sorts of things take to heal? Should we wrap his feet somehow to keep him from licking his paws? Any recommendations on good boots to buy (or better yet, patterns/instructions for making some? I'm pretty good at sewing)?

Thanks!

brad27

Re: raw paws

Post by brad27 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Lewis dog boots. I have a set I'll you give you if they fit.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Pads need to be toughened two ways.
From the outside in (lots of roading)
From the inside out (Zinc Gluconate tablets)

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 pm

This is the skin rebuilder that doctors and hospitals use. I'm told it's the active ingredient in "Toughfoot" only stronger.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 am

Any product containing Tincture of Benzoin not only heals the pads it toughens them up for future use. It only takes a day or so to heal the raw spots.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

I've been using it for a season off and on and I'm happy with the results. I use a Q-tip to apply it. I also found it in pre-soaked swabs in individual envelopes that came in a large box. I apply 2-3 times a day.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 pm

For a wound or crack, you can use superglue on some moleskin which will harden instantly when the glue hits the moleskin. That gets your dog back to hunting right away for minor pad wounds. Apply the glue a little at a time because it gets hot as it cures and more glue makes more heat.