Wobbly this morning

ROTTnBRITT

Wobbly this morning

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 am

My pup (14 wks) was dry heaving this morning when I went to take him out. I carried him outside and set him down and he was pretty wobbly, then he just sat down. My first thought was low blood sugar. I went inside to get some corn syrup or honey. I put a little bit of honey on my finger and offered it to him but he just chattered his teeth or something and his mouth got foamy. I took him in to feed him and he didn't want food. After that he vomited a little bit of fluid.
He vomited one more time on the way to work. He didn't seem wobbly anymore but was shivering. He slept for another hour or so, then he finally got up and ate some canned food. He played a chew toy for a few mins, then I took him outside and he went to the bathroom. When we came back in he ate a little more and now he is napping again. Another thing I noticed was his eyes were moving back and forth kind of fast. That seems to have stopped and doesn't seem to be shivering either.

After some googling. I was thinking inner ear infection, then I look up the symptoms hypoglycemia. He didn't eat much of his food last night, so Im leaning more towards that now.

Does anyone have experience with this in puppies? Should I offer him more honey even though he ate some (about 1/4 cup) food. I would like to see him perk up a little more.

Munster

Re: Wobbly this morning

Post by Munster » Tue May 28, 2013 10:20 am

If it where my dog, as soon as you start talking wobblynes, rapid eye movement and foaming, I would be on the phone to a vet not a forum. Just me though.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue May 28, 2013 11:05 am

Yeh, Did that. Just looking for other suggestions.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 am

And what did the vet say? My vet usually says more than just a suggestion and since I pay him for his knowledge, I tend to listen and do what he says

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 pm

The vet just did a general exam since he was active and acting normal. She said everything was normal. She said to keep an eye on him, make sure he is eating and drinking. If he is acting lethargic or gets wobbly again to bring him right in and they can do some test. She said he could have just been shakey from not eating the night before and having had a pretty active day yesterday.
Not really any answers, but his vitals were checked and she said they were normal. And he has definitely perked up. He ate all of his food and just dumped his water bowl and ran off with it. :lol:
Ive got some cleaning up to do now.

steamer

Post by steamer » Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 pm

could he have got into rat poison? brometholin (spelling?) poisoning has alot of those same symptoms. good luck hope he is ok

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 am

Has he been drinking much the past few days?
Has he been playing or running alot?

I know of an adult GSP that gets dehydrated and does similar things.

Good luck.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm

My gsp did this at about a year old, I had worked her very hard and then noticed later that evening her depth peception was way off and she was wobbly. A trip to the e-vet (of course it happened on a weekend) cost me 700 bucks and they told me the dog was just fine.....the dog slept in bed with us that night and was fine in the morning.....never happened since.