Crystals in Urine?

AG74

Crystals in Urine?

Post by AG74 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:10 pm

My 2.5 y.o. GWP had been urinating more frequently than usual and sometimes piddling, not being able to hold it while in the kennel, etc. We suspected a UTI and took him to the vet. After a urine test, the vet found three types of crystals: two that "should dissolve with a change of diet," and one called calcium oxalate, but no UTI, no bacteria. He is apparently too dehydrated, although he drinks normally I think, and noticing that his urine is too concentrated, I usually soak his food with some water to increase his intake.

The urine had a high specific gravity and too high pH (the doc thought 7 was too high?). The doc's theory was, of course, to change his diet to grain-free Science Diet. I had always had him on grain free because he gets extremely itchy and has diarrhea with grain-feeds. TOTW was doing ok for him but couldn't get him to gain weight, so we switched to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. He did really good on this food and finally started to put on just a little weight (which he needed).

Now I am thinking the urinary problems may have started about the time we switched to Extreme Athlete. I had been real happy with this food, since I finally seemed to find a food that agreed with my boy.

Anyone had a similar experience or any advice?

By the way, I wonder if it could be the water? Our city water must be high in calcium, as it leaves deposits on all the faucets, etc...
Last edited by AG74 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doc E

Re: Crystals in Urine?

Post by Doc E » Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Take the dog to a Vet College.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

AG74

Post by AG74 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Doc E wrote:Take the dog to a Vet College.

Doc, is there one you can recommend in the N.E. Corner of Oregon?

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

WSU in Pullman WA is probably closer than OSU. There is also a veterinary college at U of I in Moscow. Good luck!
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 am

I'm not a vet, but I am a medical lab tech, so take it FWIW.
There are several causes for crystals in urine. It could be dietary or underlying disease. Sometimes crystals form in urine that has been stored prior to testing.
You might ask your vet to pull some blood for testing basic kidney and liver function, and perhaps to rule out a problem with the dog's parathyroid gland. The parathyroid is involved with calcium excretion.
If there isn't a disease process present, a change of diet and increase of hydration might be all you need. A food with a lower protein content might help; you might want to avoid foods containing organ meats. Some ingredients like sweet potato may help with lowering pH. Your vet can point you in the right direction.
Be aware that dogs with crystals can be more prone to kidney or bladder stones. I once had a dog that had a urinary blockage due to stones; a small one was stuck in his urethra and he needed surgical intervention.