Question For Diamond Natural Users

Onk

Question For Diamond Natural Users

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am

Thinking of starting my dog on the Diamond Natural and was wondering what formulas have worked best for you all. Love my current feed but cost has become and issue. I feed a 26/19 year round now. Thinking of something along the 26/19 scale during more none active months and amping it up a bit during hunting season. Any information would be helpful. Please this is not a dog food pissing contest, I only need information from users of the food in question. Thanks!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Question For Diamond Natural Users

Post by shags » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 am

Been using Extreme Athlete (32/25, IIRC) for quite a while now and the dogs are doing great on it. The one issue I have with EA is that I have to be careful with the amount I feed. Just a bit too much gives them sloppy poops and gas. Stinky, putrid gas. But the energy levels, skins, coats, and overall health that EA provides offsets any drawbacks. My setters weigh from 47 to 53 pounds and get from just under 2 cups to just over 2 cups once a day.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:53 pm

I fed extreme athlete to 3 dogs. adult to three dogs and diamond performance to three dogs. had a hard time with loose stool with the extreme athlete if I fed enough to keep weight on. Adult dogs did well for awhile and then went down hill. I had the best results with performance and now have all dogs on that. it is also the cheapest.
I never had a 50# dog who could get by on 2 cups a day. It is not enough calories to keep weight on them. Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I have found a great happy medium feeding a mixture of Extreme athlete and High energy. During the off season 1cup EA/1cup HE. During hunting season I lean more towards 75% EA depending on the dog.

mask

Post by mask » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 am

I feed EA all year. I have 5 pointers from 42 to 65 lbs. they get from one and three quarters cups to 2 and a quarter cup this time of year, more durning hunting season. I hunt Sept thru Jan many times in extreme conditions and I am very satisified with this feed. I have had no problems and the dogs like this feed.

grouser

Post by grouser » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am

I have tried all of the above listed and found that my dogs do best on the puppy formula by Premium Edge. PE is a diamond product and it has the "this dog food can be used for all life stages" and it has the protein and fat level close to the extreme athlete wothou incurring the loose stools and gas. The price is right as well. My pointers had loose and greasy stools with the naturals formula but my setters had no problem.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 am

I feed diamond high energy my dogs do well on it a little gas. Now and then cost 2899. At tractor supply
cc

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:12 am

I started using the grain free diamond natural,and I am happy with it.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Switched from Loyall to EA when Loyall's Professional went over a buck a pound. Can't see any difference in the dogs after several months. Both are around fifty pounds and get by on two cups per day. Checked yesterday and EA is closing in on the dollar per pound price. Might be time to look for something new. EA is pretty tough to beat on paper, but I had good luck with Loyall for quite a while.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Feeding the 26/16 naturals chicken and rice during the slow season. 2 cups / day to my 36# female britt. I'll put her back on EA when we start training and conditioning again.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 am

I fed Extreme Athlete to my dogs for the past year and everything was good. No gas or loose stool problems here.

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm

So it has been a year since this thread was started and I am curious to know from those who are still feeding Diamond dog food; Are you satisfied with it? I have been ordering another dog food that I like off of the internet because it is not available around me, but with a recent screw up by Fed Ex I have decided that maybe I should switch to something I can buy locally. My local feed store sells Purina and Diamond products. Now for reasons I do not want to get in to I will not feed my dogs Purina products, so that leaves Diamond. After doing some research and reading past posts on this site and others, I have discovered that people either love Diamond or they hate it. I know there was a recall on some bags 1-2 years ago due to Salmonella showing up in some bags, and that some dogs were killed back in 2005 or something like that, but how are they doing now? How are your dogs doing on it? I don't want to hear about how Dr. Tim's is the greatest food going at this time, or how I should look at Loyall or some other brands, I only want to talk about Diamond. The local feed store does not carry these other foods and I am done with ordering dog food off the internet. I am thinking about putting my GSP pup on the Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice. Is anyone using that? Any recommendations about feeding?

Thanks in advance.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Still using Naturals EA and liking it. I find it's very consistent bag to bag unlike my previous brand which seemed to change color and odor every few months.
Our newest dog is 8 months old and EA is all he's been fed since 8 weeks old.

smittty

Post by smittty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:06 pm

diamond HI-ENERGY all year round ... they do well on it.... under 30.00 at tractor supply

mask

Post by mask » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:15 pm

My opinion hasn't changed. My dogs get hunted harder than average, I like EA because the dogs do well on it

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 pm

CoolHandLukeGSP wrote:So it has been a year since this thread was started and I am curious to know from those who are still feeding Diamond dog food; Are you satisfied with it? I have been ordering another dog food that I like off of the internet because it is not available around me, but with a recent screw up by Fed Ex I have decided that maybe I should switch to something I can buy locally. My local feed store sells Purina and Diamond products. Now for reasons I do not want to get in to I will not feed my dogs Purina products, so that leaves Diamond. After doing some research and reading past posts on this site and others, I have discovered that people either love Diamond or they hate it. I know there was a recall on some bags 1-2 years ago due to Salmonella showing up in some bags, and that some dogs were killed back in 2005 or something like that, but how are they doing now? How are your dogs doing on it? I don't want to hear about how Dr. Tim's is the greatest food going at this time, or how I should look at Loyall or some other brands, I only want to talk about Diamond. The local feed store does not carry these other foods and I am done with ordering dog food off the internet. I am thinking about putting my GSP pup on the Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice. Is anyone using that? Any recommendations about feeding?

Thanks in advance.
Good decision, IMO, switching to something close and readily available vs. having to order it. Purina and Diamond are both good feed and since you have reasons for not using Purina, I Think your dog will do as well on one of the Diamond formulas as any other brand.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm still feeding Diamond Naturals to my three dogs. The Brittany's have been on EA since late summer when we started conditioning. Their weight has stayed consistent and they had plenty of energy, we hunted 4 days in SD and they were on the ground for 5-6 hours a day and didn't slow down. Went to KS and they hunted 7-8 hours a day for three days. They are 35 and 40 lbs and I feed them 2 cups per day normally, 2.5-3 when hunting. I also have a 50 lb mutt that eats the Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice, 2 cups per day. All of their stools are normal, no runny stuff.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 am

I have a bit better results with Diamond Performance 30/20 and it is cheaper by about $.70 cents a pound. I may have over fed the EA but the dogs always had loose stools......Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:28 am

I've used both Naturals and EA, dogs have done well on it, costs less than $30 a bag, no complaints.