hot spots help

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

hot spots help

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 pm

A little help from those that have dealt with hot spots....8 year old dog suddenly started getting hot spots - I think because of the amount of swimming we're doing now. Vet gave a steroid shot and shaved the areas and I'm spraying a zinc solution on the spots. They're obviously bothering him and I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with these in the past and has any advice on how to make him more comfortable and to stop more of them from happening. We're skipping the swimming for now and the vet did put him on Clavamox in case he gets infected. These things are super nasty - puss covered and just plain nasty.
hot spots (1024x765).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ROTTnBRITT

Re: hot spots help

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Oh wow. That looks pretty bad. I had a female rott that would get them a lot. But usually one or two spot at a time.
Thinking about it now...she quit getting them after we moved from our first home back to the house I grew up in. She had a thick coat though. Not normal for rottweilers.

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 am

You might try a mastitis med for dairy cows. It is cheap and it works.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Veterycin
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 pm

You need to try Vetericyn. This stuff works great. I think the regular Wound and Skin Care formula would work but they do have one the is labeled Hot Spot. I have seen several dogs that have used the their products for different reasons with fantastic results. I know a guy that is using it on an English Setter for a hot spot right now and it seems to be doing the trick.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 pm

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Sulfodene is very good as well.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 pm

smoothbean wrote:http://vetericyn.com/
Thank you for the link and the correct spelling! Great stuff! Saved my husband's life when he had what was probably MRSA because if I'd have had to haul him to the hospital one more time I would have killed him!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm

I'll try the vetericyn - I have some at home from an earlier deal where Cajun Casey recommended it. I wonder if there is a food change to try in order to discourage the bacteria or whatever is causing the problem. Like adding a yogurt to the diet or making the diet more (or less) acidic. I just thought maybe something might help on the food angle of things for slowing down the incidence of these occurring.

Thanks folks.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Did all those flame up at the same time? Fish based omega 3's (fish oil) is good at calming inflammation of the skin. There seems to be pretty good evidence it helps, can't hurt that's for sure.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Hard to connect a dog food to an external infection.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:55 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Hard to connect a dog food to an external infection.

Ezzy

Well, an allergy (as remote as it is) can cause a rash that can become infected. So a secondary infection is definitely possible from a food allergy or a reaction to food.

Ear infections in fact are closely related to food issues, perhaps not a classic allergy but a reaction nonetheless.

Food is not a primary cause of a skin infection but secondary infections are very common.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Food is not a primary cause of a skin infection but secondary infections are very common.
Probably much more accurate to say secondary infections are rare but possible. As I said it is hard to connect a food to an external infection. That doesn't mean it can't happen but.......................

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Probably much more accurate to say secondary infections are rare but possible. As I said it is hard to connect a food to an external infection. That doesn't mean it can't happen but.......................

Ezzy
I never believed the link to ear infections...which are external...but almost always when protein goes up and carbohydrates go down, dogs with chronic ear problems get better....

edb

Post by edb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Some of the best stuff you can buy. www.nustock.com

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't think his diet is causing an allergy - if so, that would be unusual as he's been on this food for about a year now.

I was just wondering if something added to his food might help make this go away faster. Like when you have a yeast infection and they say to drink cranberry juice to prevent them, or add yogurt to change the bacteria level.

Vet says it's an allergic reaction to something - but I don't think it's food as that hasn't changed any recently - the only change has been tons of swimming. He's also got goopy eyes too. I'm going to try a few things out that have been recommended - can't hurt I guess! He's pretty uncomfortable.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I sent a message to the Vetericyn rep that I know. She says to pull the hair back (since the spots are shaved you will get good skin contact) and saturate the spots 3 to 4 times daily. Also don't follow a soap just use the Vetericyn and let it do it's job. Of course she also said if the spots don't clear or improve see the vet which you are already doing.
You may already do it but if you wouldn't mind taking photos and share them with me. I would love to pass this info on if it works as good as I think it will.
If you would like her contact info I can share it with you just PM me.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 am

A remedy I figured out many years ago that worked well is straight H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) poured directly on a couple of times a day. It worked well, and the problem was gone in a few days. I mentioned it to my Vet friend some time later and he confirmed that it was as good as anything. This was several years ago, and some cases are likely somewhat different than others.
big steve

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:11 pm

You didn't mention whether the dog was swimming in a pool or pond. Either way, I'd explore whether something in the water, chemical or bio, was causing it.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am

a true "hot spot" is usually caused by the normal flora of bacteria that reside on the skin of the dog. something (scratch, cut, inflamation, retained moisture, parasites, etc) causes a break or break down in the protective barrier of the skin, and that allows the bacteria to infect, overgrow, and cause a problem. most respond well to cephalexin (in my experience), and yes, vetericyn works well. what works VERY well is rubbing alcohol - but of course after the first treatment you may not see your dog for a week, or he will dig a hole under your house and hide at the first sign of the bottle of liquid fire you just poured on him!! anything you can do to dry it out will help. sometimes thats all it takes, but sometimes you need the antibiotics. if the o.p.'s dog has a heavy dense coat, all the extra swimming may mean some retained moisture in the hair which is irritating the skin?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks for the info doc! He has a typical Vizsla coat - not too dense - but he does seem to retain the water after we swim for a while. The vet prescribed Clavamox - do you think he'd do better on the cephalexin? He is improving, but we've stopped swimming totally (which sucks) - no new breakouts at all. It was weird how the 7 new spots just appeared the night after we'd gone to the dock dog swimming/jumping day.

My dogs sincerely holds a grudge, so I think I'll stick with the vetericyn since it seems to be drying everything up pretty well - and he doesn't hate me for using that. He's so darn smart that I think if I caused that amount of pain - he'd hide under the bed like the pointer used to do when I'd take out the toenail clippers.

I think it is retained moisture - do you think there is anything I can do to lower the amount of bacteria on the skin in the future (supplements, change in feed, bathing more?).

Thanks again to all of you! I'll send updated pics as he heals up.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:26 am

Once he has healed, you might try a post swim wipedown with Listerine and then use a shammy to dry him

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:35 pm

One interesting thing that has been noted by many a vet is the relationship of certain fat types and a hot spot occurring. Most common one we see if the golden retriever that gets some beef fat(bbq, etc.), and with in a day or two has hot spots on their cheeks. Pork fat can do it, too. Dermatologists recognize this cause as well. Of course, other allergens can set off a hot spot quickly, such as pollen.

That dog in the picture might do best with an oral(antibiotic plus a steroid to stop the itch and self mutilation by the dog)medicine plus a topical medicine to cure it.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

It depresses me to hear that BBQ can cause issues with my dogs...

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:It depresses me to hear that BBQ can cause issues with my dogs...
I've never noted any problem with my dogs when I eat bbq. :D

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 am

We haven't had too many hot spots on our dogs, but as the summer progresses and we do more water work, they sure do get itchy after swimming. I've found that rinsing them off with regular chlorinated tap water out of the garden hose works great to keep them from getting itchy and smelly. They don't like it much, especially as the water gets very cold by the time dog #4 gets her turn.

I think the high protein, low carb idea is right on. Making that dietary change ended all our ear troubles immediately. The vet was getting rich on us with chronic ear trouble happening in two dogs.

The hot spots I have dealt with responded really well to Special Formula Mastitis Treatment (for cows) made by Fort Dodge, and also to GOLD BOND MEDICATED POWDER. Great tip from a Lab owner; worked well, and didn't cost a lot to use.

Hope you can get back in the water soon. We wait all through the long winter for these summer days, and they seem so fleeting. Two months until duck opener.