Help! puppy watering question.

abradley0408

Help! puppy watering question.

Post by abradley0408 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 pm

My new pup Blaze is going on 9 weeks old. I have a water supply that him and my wife's dog share, so I just leave always accessible to both the dogs except 2 hrs before bed time. It seems that Blaze will just drink out of it any time he walks past it, or any time the other dog gets a drink he has to as well. In turn this is making him pee just constantly. I know he is a pup and cant really control his bladder to well yet, but this is getting on border line ridiculous. Can I limit the amount of water that he takes in, or do I just need to let him drink as much as he desires.

MonsterDad

Re: Help! puppy watering question.

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I wouldn't limit his water. Are you crate training him? Any possibility he has a UTI?

Could also be the food he is eating is not sitting well with him, could be too rich or the pup is eating too much.

abradley0408

Post by abradley0408 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 pm

MonsterDad wrote:I wouldn't limit his water. Are you crate training him? Any possibility he has a UTI?

Could also be the food he is eating is not sitting well with him, could be too rich or the pup is eating too much.

Might be eating to much. until yesterday I was just keeping food in front of him at all times because he was looking a little thin. but he is looking very healthy now, So we are on a twice a day feeding schedule now.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 am

I would discuss this with your Vet. Your pup could have picked up a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Excessive peeing is not normal.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

MikeB wrote:I would discuss this with your Vet. Your pup could have picked up a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Excessive peeing is not normal.
+1

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Pup carrying a parasite load will drink like crazy, too.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

abradley0408

Post by abradley0408 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Since changing the food schedule he is peeing about once an hour when up and about and about every 3 hours when in his kennel sleeping for the night. I will be calling my vet in the morning to see what he thinks.