Sick pigeons, slowly dying HELP!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Sick pigeons, slowly dying HELP!

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 pm

This has been going on for a while. At first it was several squeakers and the older birds, now some previously healthy adults. I have lost about 6 in the last month and that is 1/3 of my flock.
Symptoms:
Lack of appetite, lethargic, thirsty until very very sick, losing weight
Today I pulled a baby that was doing well for 2.5 week and suddenly died. Very distended yellow mushy crop on it but the adults that die often are empty crop and very thin.
not laying or breeding
Watery poo, don't know color
No head turning or dizzyness that I notice
They are housed right next to the chickens, but the chickens (all adult, seem fine)
____
I feed layena pellets,
fresh water in a rabbit waterer, so no standing water to get contaminated.
I added the aviary 2 weeks ago thinking they were overcrowded, still dying
I cleaned out and sanitized the coop, changed all bedding
I sevin dusted them all and dusted coop when I cleaned it
I applied Ivomec topically several weeks ago
I see no signs of canker ?? bever seen it but mouths look clear
Have treated started a few days ago, for coccidia and dewormed with Wazine. (treated the chickens also, just in case)
Everyone else in the coop ate ravenously but didn't finish food today, and they all look a bit puffed out.

We have had rain EVERY DAY for weeks, and everything including the air is humid

am I on the right track? what else to do?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Sick pigeons, slowly dying HELP!

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Terramycin in the water for 5 to 7 days.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm

The co-op only has it for cattle/swine. Do you know how to dose that? The only antibiotic fod poultry they have is sulfumet

Does it come in powder? there was something they used to have that did...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I got it at Tractor Supply and used a teaspoon of powder in a gallon of water. Wet humid weather in a problem for our birds.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

hoppingsp

Post by hoppingsp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 am

I used wazine 17 on my quail, terramycin, or duramycin probably same thing, a wormer. I also gave my birds a vitamin and electrolyte supplement dont remember name, vita pac or something was for cattle and pigs 1 2$ pack made like 40 gallons I just used 1/4 tsp. In gallon of water every few weeks. Was a yellow granule seemed to help alot.

hoppingsp

Post by hoppingsp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 am

One orher thing that might help is to put a box of play sand in coop where they can dust themselves and collect sand in crop to aid in breaking down food my quail loved it, and actually cut down a little on feed consumption.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 am

I am a little hesitant to give advice about pigeons, because I am certainly no expert, but I will tell you what I think I have discovered. This may not be your issue, but I believe that most of the health issues with 'dog training' pigeons comes from not enough ventilation and sunlight in the loft. My loft has a wire floor and sits a foot or so off the ground, so it gets some airflow there. I also have a section of wire one foot high and eight feet across the front of my loft for ventilation. The last thing is that the roof is a 'transparent' plastic roofing material which lets sunlight in. This loft stays completely dry, there are droppings on the perches and on the floor in places but the droppings are completely dry. I have the healthiest pigeons that I have ever had.

I have had a couple of lofts over the years that did not have much ventilation and did not get any sunlight inside and the floor and perches were always wet and the birds were always unhealthy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:35 am

rinker wrote:I am a little hesitant to give advice about pigeons, because I am certainly no expert, but I will tell you what I think I have discovered. This may not be your issue, but I believe that most of the health issues with 'dog training' pigeons comes from not enough ventilation and sunlight in the loft. My loft has a wire floor and sits a foot or so off the ground, so it gets some airflow there. I also have a section of wire one foot high and eight feet across the front of my loft for ventilation. The last thing is that the roof is a 'transparent' plastic roofing material which lets sunlight in. This loft stays completely dry, there are droppings on the perches and on the floor in places but the droppings are completely dry. I have the healthiest pigeons that I have ever had.

I have had a couple of lofts over the years that did not have much ventilation and did not get any sunlight inside and the floor and perches were always wet and the birds were always unhealthy.
+1 and good luck.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 pm

We have sun today finally...
Thanks. Anyone used the "all-in-one" meds that lion country supply used to sell? Out of stock currently but is it worth finding??
Long term I will mull on coop renovation. I could change half the roof probably to that. The aviary side is wire bottom and I have ventilation panels across from it in main coop to let air through... maybe I'll take some photos for ideas.... but its nowhere near as nice looking as yours :)

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 pm

I would also bleach everything in the loft too. Clean and kill germs.

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I feed my pigeons medicated turkey started and that usually keeps them healthy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 pm

ranmcc wrote:I feed my pigeons medicated turkey started and that usually keeps them healthy.
Turkey grower is a great feed to use along with some grain. The medication is just for coccid and doesn't have any effect on and pigeon disease.

Ezzy

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Well, lost one today in training due to dog. I hate to be training with them but I have put it off over a month and have dogs ready so I had to try to put the healthiest ones out. They are SKINNY and not flying well, but I kept them close to the coop and hope, other than the caught one, it wasn't too much stress. Put them on the Turkey Starter, gave antibiotics, and am feeding 2 or even 3 times a day but pulling their food after 20 minutes when they stop eating, to be sure the food is not getting damp and souring in the humid rainy weather. :( Don't know what else to do. Can I give them something that is higher calorie to get the weight back on them? I am about to go out of town for a few days and am worried about them when I go. Someone else will be feeding but only once a day. But am at a loss what else to do.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

If they are still sick bring a stool sample to your vet they can check it, my vet give me two different type of liquid to mix with there water, when I started to lose chicks at 2 weeks old, fyi my birds seem to be doing the best on chicken layer feed pellets, they seem to do better on this then the pigeon pellets that I use to feed, go figure and its cheaper :D

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Try Foy's pigeon supply. Give them a call.