Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post Reply
MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Right on the heels of two Natura recalls, P&G is recalling a tremendous amount of food with expirations out to Nov 2014.

User avatar
Red
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by Red » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 am

Post a link??? Need more info...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 am


User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 am

MonsterDad wrote:Right on the heels of two Natura recalls, P&G is recalling a tremendous amount of food with expirations out to Nov 2014.
Expiration dates have nothing to do with the lot number which is the number you need to look for. They print the expiration date only to let you know how long it can be on the shelf and still be good.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 am

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Right on the heels of two Natura recalls, P&G is recalling a tremendous amount of food with expirations out to Nov 2014.
Expiration dates have nothing to do with the lot number which is the number you need to look for. They print the expiration date only to let you know how long it can be on the shelf and still be good.
who cares....all the foods recalled have expiry dates in November 2014...I would imagine the lot number and expiration date are related??

not sure what your point is, if there is one....

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:53 am

MonsterDad wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:Right on the heels of two Natura recalls, P&G is recalling a tremendous amount of food with expirations out to Nov 2014.
Expiration dates have nothing to do with the lot number which is the number you need to look for. They print the expiration date only to let you know how long it can be on the shelf and still be good.
who cares....all the foods recalled have expiry dates in November 2014...I would imagine the lot number and expiration date are related??

not sure what your point is, if there is one....
The point is that expiration dates have nothing to do with the recall. They have many other lots with that same expiration date that are not on their list of feeds that want back. Since it is only for salmonella I wouldn't get all that concerned but it is a chance to get a new bag of feed free if you have some of the recalled feed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 pm

I hope this doesn't go the route of the last debacle. Four recalls, two of them total product line by the time it was over. Thanks, P&G. Not.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm

The point is that expiration dates have nothing to do with the recall. They have many other lots with that same expiration date that are not on their list of feeds that want back. Since it is only for salmonella I wouldn't get all that concerned but it is a chance to get a new bag of feed free if you have some of the recalled feed.

Ezzy[/quote]

And neither do the lot numbers...the reason for the recall was bad quality control not lot numbers or expiration dates. Obviously they mean something because every time there is a recall they tell you the expiration date, most likely because people are accustomed to looking at them.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

MonsterDad wrote:The point is that expiration dates have nothing to do with the recall. They have many other lots with that same expiration date that are not on their list of feeds that want back. Since it is only for salmonella I wouldn't get all that concerned but it is a chance to get a new bag of feed free if you have some of the recalled feed.

Ezzy
And neither do the lot numbers
..
.the reason for the recall was bad quality control not lot numbers or expiration dates. Obviously they mean something because every time there is a recall they tell you the expiration date, most likely because people are accustomed to looking at them.
If you are truly interested in learning what the different numbers mean and are used for I would be glad to tell you but somehow I am sure you would argue about it so it is probably a waste of time but some others might be interested. Lot numbers are the identification number of a certain batch of feed and has to be printed on each container. Expiration date is nothing more than letting customers know how long it can be safely kept on the shelf before being sold or used. I would guess every batch of feed made this week or month will have the same expiration date, depending on how their tests were set up and conducted. I am sure all of the dry feeds would at least.

Lot numbers are the only identification there is for a certain batch of feed and therefore is not just important but essential to have on every bag or container of the product. Bad quality control would mean the possible contamination from on line in the plant would never be caught or identified. Good quality control catches these errors before distribution but occasionally with high volume products it is almost impossible to do since there is not enough warehouse room in a plant to keep that volume of feed till all of the testing is complete which means if the test took very long they were in trouble. And as stated in the recall this was voluntary and covers the batches that could have been contaminated and not necessarily ones that were.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
UglyD
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm
Location: Paradise------------- Utah

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by UglyD » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 am

No different than many other products- I buy paper all day- Lot #'s then roll numbers are they key to identifing problems. With that info back to the mill I can identify the paper that will have problems before I ever use them.
Lot# is a key

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm

UglyD wrote:No different than many other products- I buy paper all day- Lot #'s then roll numbers are they key to identifing problems. With that info back to the mill I can identify the paper that will have problems before I ever use them.
Lot# is a key
yep, exactly right. I think everyone that has had experience knows just how important.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:17 pm

There are some unconfirmed reports of a Lab kennel where several dogs have died eating the bags in question.

MonsterDad
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:The point is that expiration dates have nothing to do with the recall. They have many other lots with that same expiration date that are not on their list of feeds that want back. Since it is only for salmonella I wouldn't get all that concerned but it is a chance to get a new bag of feed free if you have some of the recalled feed.

Ezzy
And neither do the lot numbers
..
.the reason for the recall was bad quality control not lot numbers or expiration dates. Obviously they mean something because every time there is a recall they tell you the expiration date, most likely because people are accustomed to looking at them.
If you are truly interested in learning what the different numbers mean and are used for I would be glad to tell you but somehow I am sure you would argue about it so it is probably a waste of time but some others might be interested. Lot numbers are the identification number of a certain batch of feed and has to be printed on each container. Expiration date is nothing more than letting customers know how long it can be safely kept on the shelf before being sold or used. I would guess every batch of feed made this week or month will have the same expiration date, depending on how their tests were set up and conducted. I am sure all of the dry feeds would at least.

Lot numbers are the only identification there is for a certain batch of feed and therefore is not just important but essential to have on every bag or container of the product. Bad quality control would mean the possible contamination from on line in the plant would never be caught or identified. Good quality control catches these errors before distribution but occasionally with high volume products it is almost impossible to do since there is not enough warehouse room in a plant to keep that volume of feed till all of the testing is complete which means if the test took very long they were in trouble. And as stated in the recall this was voluntary and covers the batches that could have been contaminated and not necessarily ones that were.

Ezzy

Yes I am well aware what an expiration date is and that two unrelated batches could have the same expiration date. It really doesn't matter except that a massive amount of tainted food left the factories. What concerns me is the reaction to something like salmonella and whether they found the really bad, antibiotic resistant strains in the food.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Eukanuba & Iams Recall

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:49 pm

The massive amounts you are imagining is .1 of 1% of their feed that was manufactured. It also was a voluntary recall which basically means the feed was exposed and MIGHT be contaminated. Again, for your information and not to lessen the problem, any and probably all dog food that was fed 40 or 50 years ago had salmonella in it. Our company started working with FDA at that time trying to trace down where it was coming from and how a mill could get rid of it. But to this day, it still can come in with several different ingredients and though they have been able to lessen the exposure a great deal it remains a problem. The main concern is the exposure of the humans involved and not the animals eating it as most can handle quite easily. Most are exposed to it probably on a daily basis if they are out running in the fields.

I understand some people have to have something to worry about but there are an awful lot of things worse than salmonella and also what our dogs are eating. They have lived as scavengers for hundreds of years eating anything they could find that had not completely rotted away. That was before they had such things as sensitive stomachs, allergies, and couldn't tolerate vegetable matter in their daily intake. Talk about salmonella exposure, those were the days.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Reply