Food Agression?

Bberry20

Food Agression?

Post by Bberry20 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I have my 1.5 yr male GSP and my 7 year pitmix that are great. Recently (2-3 months) ago I rescued a 2.5 year old male GSP. Everything was great up until about 2 weeks ago. I used to be able to feed them all together in three bowls and nothing would happen. Now, if I put there food down, the rescued male will growl at the other dogs. Enough to where he got rolled quite well by the other GSP. This has happened three times now and is progressing each time. He growled once at my mix and she put a stop to that quickly.

I can go up to any and all of them and put my hands in the bowl and not a peep out of any of them. Anyone have ay ideas or suggestions on what could be causing this, or how to remedy this without a vet visit for stiches. I should also note that both males are intact.

Thanks for the help.

KwikIrish

Re: Food Agression?

Post by KwikIrish » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Stitches? Feed them in their own crates. Problem solved.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:25 pm

x2 - I don't feed my 3 in the same room. No use looking for trouble. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 am

i feed 4 in the same room, no trouble cause im the boss and they know it, correct it before it happens, read the dog and put him in his place. sounds like typical new gsp behavior. nip it in the bud.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:20 am

Feeding more than one can be a problem !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNKfucd0HYo

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:01 am

thanks for the input, the new pup and I had a "who's the boss" meeting last night. I think we figured a lot out last night.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 pm

How did you do this?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I had GSP's years and years before i started with pointers, shorthairs can get "snarky" at first as they try and push the envelope , but its 99% of the time just a power ploy thats easily straightened out with some tough love.

Polmaise- have you heard of the "come to Jesus" meeting, over there on that side of the pond :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:39 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
Polmaise- have you heard of the "come to Jesus" meeting, over there on that side of the pond :lol:
:lol: became atheist after my first pup!.... :wink:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 am

dogs don't have that problem, least not ones shown "the way"

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Bberry20 wrote:Hey Everyone,

So I have my 1.5 yr male GSP and my 7 year pitmix that are great. Recently (2-3 months) ago I rescued a 2.5 year old male GSP. Everything was great up until about 2 weeks ago. I used to be able to feed them all together in three bowls and nothing would happen. Now, if I put there food down, the rescued male will growl at the other dogs. Enough to where he got rolled quite well by the other GSP. This has happened three times now and is progressing each time. He growled once at my mix and she put a stop to that quickly.

I can go up to any and all of them and put my hands in the bowl and not a peep out of any of them. Anyone have ay ideas or suggestions on what could be causing this, or how to remedy this without a vet visit for stiches. I should also note that both males are intact.

Thanks for the help.
I would feed all of them together on the chain gang. Time on the chain will help them to coexist. Put the 2.5 year old in the middle, and observe their behaviors.

Nate

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:53 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:
I would feed all of them together on the chain gang. Time on the chain will help them to coexist. Put the 2.5 year old in the middle, and observe their behaviors.

Nate
Nah! I would much rather see the video clip of you following through with that advice on these dogs for the first time?..and observe your behaviour? :D
Just to see what you would do next?... :lol: .....
Only having a laugh now!..so don't get all up tight?....You must admit it would be good to see?..from a purely self explanatory situation? :wink:

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Bberry20 wrote:thanks for the input, the new pup and I had a "who's the boss" meeting last night. I think we figured a lot out last night.
What exactly did you do or what makes you think you changed anything with the new rescue? What did you figure out?

I am always curious.... Why was he a rescue at age 2.5 years?

I would seperate the resuce from the other 2 dogs. Also teaching the new dog to have Respect for you and the other dogs is done through training him. Obedience first and then gun dog training if that is what you want him for.

Personally I would neuter him at this age. If he has not been neutered.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Just curious as to why you would neuter him as it will do nothing for the aggressive behavior!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 pm

MikeB wrote:
Bberry20 wrote:thanks for the input, the new pup and I had a "who's the boss" meeting last night. I think we figured a lot out last night.
What exactly did you do or what makes you think you changed anything with the new rescue? What did you figure out?

I am always curious.... Why was he a rescue at age 2.5 years?

I would seperate the resuce from the other 2 dogs. Also teaching the new dog to have Respect for you and the other dogs is done through training him. Obedience first and then gun dog training if that is what you want him for.

Personally I would neuter him at this age. If he has not been neutered.

This is a good point. I've taken in 2 rescues over the years and they have always come with lots of baggage. You can't expect "normal" behaviours/responses always.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 pm

polmaise wrote:

Nate
Nah! I would much rather see the video clip of you following through with that advice on these dogs for the first time?..and observe your behaviour? :D
Only having a laugh now!..so don't get all up tight?....You must admit it would be good to see?..from a purely self explanatory situation? :wink:
You obviously haven't observed the difference time on the chain makes in a dogs attitude. Add the use of a figure 8 in timely fashion, and change the dog's life.

I don't suppose you've ever heard of Delmar Smith? www.huntsmith.com

Nate

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:32 am

polmaise wrote:

Nate
You obviously haven't observed the difference time on the chain makes in a dogs attitude. Add the use of a figure 8 in timely fashion, and change the dog's life.

I don't suppose you've ever heard of Delmar Smith? http://www.huntsmith.com

Nate
I have and its not always a good change in attitude.