missed breeding???

nanney1

missed breeding???

Post by nanney1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:05 am

Female started spotting two weeks ago today. Arranged with stud owner to bring her over on day 10. They live close by so bringing her over repeatedly was no big deal. As it turned out, she started flagging her tail late on the evening of day 8. I called and said I'll bring her over the next day - day 9. Although this was presumably a little early, I didn't want to miss in case she was ready early. On day 9 she would have nothing to do with the male. He was ready, but she snapped, and kept her rear low and her tail covering.

We repeated this scenario each day this week up until yesterday, day 15, when it was obvious that he wasn't that interested in her any more. So, we decided to wait until next time as it was obvious that we missed.

A few possibilities: 1. She was ready very early - meaning days 6,7, and 8 and I was too late in getting her over on day 9 . 2. We were dead on with our timing and she won't accept this male. 3. Should have taken her over on day 1 and left her there to get acclimated, and be with the stud 24/7 rather than just show and go. She is 2 and this was her first try at breeding. Not sure what the issue was, but it's pretty frustrating.

Next time, we'll probably do progesterone testing, get her over there to stay during the cycle, and be ready to do AI if she isn't accepting.

Gordon Guy

Re: missed breeding???

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 am

She could have been spotting earier than detected and you missed it. It happened to me one time as one of my females was bred and conceived on the 1st day of "Detected" spotting. I explained it as I just missed the first 10 / 12 days.???..I don't know how but I must have. It still confuses me a little.
Good luck next time.
Tom

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 am

Gordon Guy wrote:She could have been spotting earier than detected and you missed it. It happened to me one time as one of my females was bred and conceived on the 1st day of "Detected" spotting. I explained it as I just missed the first 10 / 12 days.???..I don't know how but I must have. It still confuses me a little.
Good luck next time.
We have other dogs and they were sniffing her earlier in the week. So, we started checking her with a paper towel and saw nothing. I guess we could have missed spotting, but we were checking her three days prior to seeing anything. Anything's possible though.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:49 am

Some females just don't want to breed. You might have to muzzle her so she don't bite the male & physically hold her for the breeding (so she doesn't sit or move away). I had to do that for 1 female for 3 litters. Good luck next time.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 am

a friend and hunting buddy has a setter bitch that absolutely will NOT stand for a dog. period. he has to muzzle and hold her for the male. he has tried multiple dogs, and I even checked her once to be sure she was ready - she just wont stand. she will conceive and have pups, normal litters, but never by her own choosing. tries to tear their face off!

the other thing to remember is that all canine females are a little different in how their cycle goes. each stage of the cycle can last from 3-12 days, and of course there will be a few outliers that may last shorter or longer than that. I think having your vet do blood testing and a swab along with it would be a good idea though.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 am

She caught him on the cheek every day we went. It was all more of a serious warning than actual biting. If she really wanted to get him, she could have as he was preoccupied and she is terribly quick. I wonder if she'll ever stand as I think we had it nailed down on the time. When she flagged at home on day 8, she did it in front of our male that we have at home. However, he has never been bred, and knows not to mess with her too much, as she had been nasty with him earlier in the week.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:46 am

dog dr wrote:a friend and hunting buddy has a setter bitch that absolutely will NOT stand for a dog. period. he has to muzzle and hold her for the male. he has tried multiple dogs, and I even checked her once to be sure she was ready - she just wont stand. she will conceive and have pups, normal litters, but never by her own choosing. tries to tear their face off!

This has also happened to me as well.
Tom

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 pm

My first stud dog managing experience went like that except we waited it out and 3 days later he didn't even hardly sniff just tied immediately. On day 18. He was interested she snappy until right before. Then he acted uninterested. Then 3 days later no hesitation. Both dogs were novice.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 pm

dog dr wrote:a friend and hunting buddy has a setter bitch that absolutely will NOT stand for a dog. period. he has to muzzle and hold her for the male. he has tried multiple dogs, and I even checked her once to be sure she was ready - she just wont stand. she will conceive and have pups, normal litters, but never by her own choosing. tries to tear their face off!

the other thing to remember is that all canine females are a little different in how their cycle goes. each stage of the cycle can last from 3-12 days, and of course there will be a few outliers that may last shorter or longer than that. I think having your vet do blood testing and a swab along with it would be a good idea though.
What the Doc says :mrgreen:

I had one female Day 10 she was done
another female wouldn't stand till about 13 days into her cycle

I am waiting on my females to come in as I am going to try out some new strips to help zero in on when they are more closer to be ready by watching for the LH spike to happen ..We shall see how they work..way cheaper then running to the vets for progesterone tests
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.